Oil filter adapter

I have a D Type replica in progress. The engine is a 4.2 from a 1983 XJ6. The chassis will not accommodate the horizontal oil filter.

This year/model has the remote oil cooler, which i plan to utilize for cooling, but i am considering having a remote oil filter in the return line from the oil cooler.

I would use a Permacool 1205 blanking cover on the oil filter adapter in lieu of the original filter.

There are so many different oil filter adapter configurations over the years that it gets confusing. But the version i have appears to be suitable.

Any comments or words of wisdom?

Avoid sharp 90° bends, if you use Aeroquip-style lines to hook up your remote filter. A smooth 90° bend is a much better way to do it. Use a minimum of AN-10 lines, and any decent filter will be fine.

When i set up the engine on my run stand, i had a filter but short circuited the oil cooler lines.

A cast aluminum bypass fitting is made just for that, but the spacing for the connections was slightly off.

So i got a pair of the o-ring sealed connectors, drilled and tapped them for NPT fittings, and looped a braided hose. Success.

My concern is whether the cooler is full or partial flow, and whether there is any thermostatic control which might reduce or interrupt the flow.

Using it for filtered oil to the engine, i want fliw and pressure!

Back in the day, these were the demon tweak for race cars: they were plentiful, cheap, it had a built in thermostat. If you have room, it might be something to consider.

2 Likes

There are several versions of the S3 XJ6 filter block, but the ones I’ve seen have a spring-loaded bypass valve so that cold or otherwise viscous oil is not forced through the hoses and cooler. So it’s partial flow, at least under some circumstances. You can remove the valve (its OD is threaded) so all oil is forced through the cooler, but then thick oil will flow through the other bypass valve directly into the sump. I would be leery to use a cooler unless oil could flow through the filter directly when too thick, as in the original design. IMHO.

Worth noting also that the oil cooler was fitted when smog requirements made the engine run a lot hotter than pre-smog. On your replica I doubt that it would be necessary, although certainly a nice feature. The V12s had a similar cooler BTW, but it was much longer, stretching across most of the radiator, instead of just a bit of the right side.

1 Like

Agreed: if there is a stock Jaguar part that accomplishes that, that would be a highly recommended piece to use.

The stock filter block does it, but here the filter is to be blocked off and relocated to the oil cooler line.

I have a XJ6 Engine in my MK2 , The older filter housing bolts straight on :thinking:
May be room for that !
20170514_160247 - Copy

1 Like

I have this one on my Mk2. Has the added ability to readily prime as it’s at sump level. The other cars have Series 3 filter heads, these won’t suit given the filter is horizontal, I expect.

Hi Barry, when you say “will not accommodate” there are short and long filters that will fit the XJ6 filter head.
Not so certain about adding the filter to the oil cooler lines. Was recommended not even to put a oil temp housing in the oil cooler line so didn’t. Not a stock engine and was designed for a race series hence the oil cooler. I doubt it is needed for how I use it.

Regards
Keith

The RCR D Type replica was designed with the aluminum tub enlarged to accommodate us larger individuals. This includes the footboxes, a good thing for my long legs and size 15 feet.

But the resulting tunnel for the back end of the engine and transmission ends up quite narrow.

Another RCR D Type builder has an engine with a vertical filter and still had to shift the engine over a bit to clear that. I fear that arrangement nearly requires pulling the engine to change the filter!

Thus the desire for a remote filter.

Norman Dewis may have had to drive the D in cold weather, but it will be a fair weather ride for me.

Are you running track days in this car? If not, and all the miles will be street driven, you really are not going to have an actual need for an oil cooler.

What sump are you using?

What part of the globe are you posting from?

1 Like

Im in a suburb of Buffalo, NY. Temperature is less of an issue.
While only about half as thick as the original, the XJ6 oil cooler is about the same height and width as the original. So installation is more authenticity than performance.
A simple cover plate on the cooler can restrict air flow and minimize potential overcooling.
My problem remains the issue of oil filtration. Thus the prospect of using the original oil cooler lines for a remote oil filter

Sump is the original pan from the '83 XJ6.

If you can use the filter mount shown in the photo above from @residentalien, I’m pretty sure I have one. Free for the cost of shipping from Louisville to Buffalo. I have the fluted alloy sump that came with it, too. Same deal, you pay the shipping.

1 Like

I will gladly pay the shipping! I am interested in tge adapter. I think the sump pan I have is fine
Thanks for the offer!!

Advise anticipated shipping, and address for funds delivery.

Yes you would have to attach the proper cooling line fittings but, absolutely NO clearance problems and a better filter.

What’s the source for that one?

Its from a 1975-76 XJ6 Series II

I was going to use this upward facing vertical filter on my (now) XJ6 powered 420G,
but there was clearance issues with the third carb controls unless I used a special stubby filter, which was not common, (nor is the adaptor itself), so maybe a problem with Webbers

Luckily I was able to use the original 420G item which faces directly down, as does the MKX