Oil filter block interchangeability

Is there ANY issue with using an oil filter block from a Mark 10 on a 3.8 E-type engine? For reasons too involved to discuss, I need to replace the Mark 2 filter block that was on the engine when I got it. I have a filter block from what I ‘think’ is a 4.2 Mark 10, but the oil ways appear to be significantly different, and I don’t want to starve the engine from oil.

Also, I have been unable to decipher the search function on the new forum. Whenever I search, I get the same discussion about the X300 car (NOTHING to do with my search topic).

Hi Bob I’ve never seen an oil filter block that I knew to be from a Mk 10, (it would help to see a photo back and front) but maybe I can make some general comments about filter block interchangeability, as I’ve done some swaps usually putting XJ6 blocks on E Types. The oil outlet and inlet holes on the engine block are the same throughout the production lives of all blocks as far as I’m aware, as are the four mounting holes, so all filter blocks should work on all blocks. I say this because while Jaguar may have rerouted the oil flow through the filter block from time to time, it always came out of the same hole in the block and returned through the same hole in the block. The internal structure of the filter blocks changed, you can see that from the variety of gaskets you get in a bottom end gasket set, usually in regard to where the oil met the pressure relief valve and the filter bypass valve - but as long as you use the gasket that corresponds to the filter block you should be ok. I assume that you will use the stock canister and filter.

Bob,

There is a user guide about how to use the search function. You can restrict your search to a specific category, poster, date range etc.

Here is a link to the guide:

(If you study what the GUI part does you can just type your search straight into the search bar, in your case a good start would be
oil filter block #e-type

Terry, That was exactly what I was hoping to hear about the oil filer blocks. The block I am using has the filter in the vertical position, not like the angled position of the Mark 2. I plan to use a screw on filter element, however. That just makes oil changes that much easier and cleaner.

Andrew, that is the best guidance I have seen here. Thank you! Silly me, I tried to use the search block on the home page. Your technique actually works…

Hmm… vertical filter. You may have a clearance problem with the frame rails.

Nah, the engine is going into my 140, so there is plenty of room, and it ‘looks’ kinda like the original one…