Oil filter canister paint color 1957 MK VIII

Original XK120 head before restoration, and XK140 head after restoration.

If you don’t like this copper and it comes down to personal taste, you could leave the head unpainted and just do the canister black.

Hi Paul,
I found the decal, along with a heap of others at
http://www.classicrepro.co.uk
The decal itself is this one… http://www.classicrepro.co.uk/Images/ST331.jpg

1 Like

I think that looks sensational, Paul, especially against the brass!

Someone painted the Jaguar name on the block of my MKV in red and it’s vile. I’m going to follow your lead at some stage! Is it a heat resistant paint?

Tim

Tim,
The gold paint that I used was an oil based enamel, nothing special. I did this mainly for my instant gratification as I build up the engine in my test stand for installation. I will have to see how it holds up over time, but with the carbs in place it is not something that will be visible in my MK VIIIs engine bay. Not like the Duck Egg Green cylinder head paint. :slight_smile:

Paul

I know that it’s the correct colour but I always thought duck eggs were blue?

Tim

Tim,
Go to Google Images and enter “duck egg green” to see the wide variety of green duck egg colors. Who knew? :wink:

Paul

I see what you mean, Paul. :grin:

Tim

Hi Roger
That’s interesting. All the original Mk 8 filters we saw were very discoloured and rusty when they arrived.

Hi Paul,
Great to see you are getting your MK VIII back roadworthy again! Just a few observations/questions and things to consider before you install your motor once again:

1. Are the brass core plugs dented inward to lock them into position? It’s hard to tell in the pictures?
  2. Originally all the core plugs and oil gallery plugs were painted black along with the block. The oil gallery plugs have copper washers that hopefully were replaced with new ones by your engine builder. This is a potential leak point on engine start-up.
  3. What have you done (if anything) to check out your Borg Warner transmission. This can be quite a source of aggravation.
  4. Just curious as to what pistons you went with on your new motor.

Best regards,
Tom Brady

Hi Paul, yes, it is nice to paint this oil canister, I did some powercoating on many parts.
Look at my engine now.
Frank.

1 Like

Jon, Thanks. I have just had a small container of 1977 Holden Persian Sand Metallic mixed by Supercheap. As I remember from the 70s, my filter can was a brown hue but was faded even then. .

Count me in as one vote for the duck egg green… :slight_smile: