Oil filter change, mis-matched parts

So bear with me a moment. I have 1937 Packard that a prior owner (who passed away) stuffed in a XK 3.8L motor from a 1962 MK 2 (based on serial number). He was both a Packard and a Jaguar guy. So he had a MK 2 with a wreck of a body and a 1937 Packard Convertible Coupe with no engine. So he put them together

I went to change the oil filter, and I’ve come across an issue. The oil filter canister bolt is physically touching the vacuum advance on the distributor. No way to remove the canister without pulling the distro. I can believe that is stock in anyway. So I fear the either the filter assemble is off a different year of motor.

Since I know almost zero about this motor (I’m a Packard guy), but I managed to get it running after sitting for at least two or three years. The SU carbs and Auxillary Starting Carb need attention. But for now I just want to change the filter. I already changed the oil just the flush everything as when I got the car the intake cam cover was off the car.

I know it has an incorrect air cleaner (torepdo style). So who knows what other parts have been swapped from different years?

So, with all that. Is this the correct filter assembly for this motor? If not, which one is? If it is the correct filter, then what the heck is up with the distributor clearance?

Here is another view of the top of the filter showing the clearance issue with the distro

It looks like the canister is a couple of inches too long. These were standard filter heads which used elements of various lengths
There’s no reason why you couldn’t get a shorter filter element and the cut down the canister and shorten the bolt to suit.

That is a filter head from a MK1. The MK2 filter goes down and towards the rear of the car.

You might be able to find the proper filter head for your needs. Another option you might consider is to get a spin-on adapter, which allows a modern spin-on filter to be used with your filter head. That combination is shorter than the original cartridge assembly.

If you have this air filter then it is also from a MK1.

Mike, thanks for the information. I’ll have to check to make sure there is clearance the other way and see if I want to find the correct MK2 filter head, or order a spin on filter adapter for this MK1 unit. I think a spin on would be the easier route.

As far as the air cleaner, this is what came with the car. It was missing the end cap and element, but I had a buddy from the UK track one down for me and it is being shipped as we speak.

The prior owner was building this car as a bit of hotrod, using what parts he had. So I may need to unwind some of the changes. The SU carbs are my next challenge.

If you are interested, here is what the car / engine combo looks like right now. I’ve already done a lot of work to it as I needed to fabricate a panel to fix where the firewall was cut to fit the motor and never patched, and also put in a brand new wire harness as the other was a mix of burnt wiring and speaker wire. Also painted the dash and serviced all the gauges.

Would this be the correct style spin-on filter adapter for the filter head that is currently on the car?

Just want to make sure before I order something.

That oil filter adapter is the kind of thing I had in mind.

When I say “MK1” I mean “something earlier than a MK2”. The MK1 is the one earlier model that I am intimately familiar with. Your air filter is NOT from a MK1, but looks like one from a MKIX, which was made concurrently with the MK1. The exhaust manifolds are also earlier, since they shoot straight down. The head could be from a 3.8 MK2 or a later MKIX, since it has the electrical tach generator on the back of the intake cam. The engine number for the head is on the wall in front of the front spark plug. The number for the block, which may well be different, is under the carbs on the top of the boss where the aluminum oil filter assembly bolts.

If you give us those numbers we will know more about what you have there, and what oil filter adapter will fit.

I love a mystery!

The vacuum advance is normally pointed more toward the front wheel rather than aligned with the block. I would swap all the spark plug wires one hole clockwise so you can just reorient the vacuum advance. Looks like you would have clearance for that.

That was my thought as well that the dissy is slightly out of position.

Thanks for all the info. I’ll grab the block engine number next time I’m back in the garage.

As far as turning the distro, does anyone have a picture of the correct orientation?

I don’t know how much of the engine has been frankensteined 1) to make it fit in the Packard engine bay or 2) put together with leftover parts. I know the prior owner had many Jags and did resto work for other people. So it could be a combo of both.

The exhaust shoots straight down, and then under the motor, and crosses to the other side as that is where the Packard exhaust path was. The exhaust is pretty much all new(ish), and there is an electric cut-out about 1/2 back on the car before the muffler. I haven’t hooked the cut-out up yet. I am sure it is going to be stupidly loud and rarely used.

When I got the car, the cam covers were sticking through the firewall and rubbing, so I had to cut the firewall a bit more and then form a 16ga steel plate to contour around the engine. The plate is bolted on so the those oil lines on the back of the motor are accessible.

I have an entire project blog on my Packard website/forum if anyone is interested more in the overall project.

Thanks again for all the info. I’ll get that engine number info.

-Kev

Would you post a picture of the Packard. Sure could use a reverse lump. I’d go with the spin on filter conversion

This is what it looks like. The blue car behind it id a 54 Packard that was a complete junker that I spend 15 years restoring.

Mike, both the head (near spark plug valley) and the block, where the oil filter head mounts, have the same serial number of LA 1118-8. Which I believe came from a 3.8 Liter Mark 2.

Here is a picture also showing the number filter head number info.

Hi
I agree with Kris
Rather than spend money; turn the distributor in the clamp so that the copper vacuum pipe is facing towards the block and then move the HT leads one terminal onwards keeping the 153624 firing order
As your block number ends in 9 one can assume it may be a high-compression motor and set the ignition timing accordingly
You will then be able to remove the existing oil filter
sorry photo is so crowded
Happy new year to all!
Brian

Hi sorry I was looking at the other block as yours is 8:1

That’s a mk8/9 Vokes air cleaner. Somewhere on this site is a post of mine, showing a modern Baldwin element which will fit. The original felt element was discontinued decades ago.

The access to the filter from the top side is pretty tight, even without the distro in the car, because of how the Packard body narrows towards the front. So having the version of the filter head where the filter faces rearward, I think, would give me the most room and easiest access.

Now I need to find one.

If i am rotating the distro clockwise to clear the oil filter, the do I move the plugs clockwise or counter-clockwise? Trying to wrap my head on that as the rotor would move counter-clockwise in realtion to new distro position.