Oil filter for early XK140

Barratt’s comes with two o-rings, one of which fits pretty well. I really am suspicious of the height of the filter elements supplied. You have to use far more pressure to get the canister started on the thread of the centre bolt than I have on other cars that use the same, or similar, arrangement (i.e. pretty much every British car of the fifties or early sixties). I wish I hadn’t slung the original style felt one, as it would have been helpful to measure it. I also suspect the felt style can compress vertically to some extent, which the modern paper cartridge type can’t.
Rob (post 10, above) notes the original filter length at 4" to 4.375", which would be a lot easier to fit than the now-typically supplied 4.5" examples.

Have you checked your bolt length? I have in my notes that it was 8" long to the head, and had a pointy end. 7/16-18 BSF thread.
There is a flat disc above the filter that should be free to slide up and down about 1/4".

Good advice Steve - the fit of the aluminium conversion plate has the effect of tipping the seal slightly at the inner radius into the filter base groove. A good quality RTV, applied carefully (and fully concealed within the groove), is essential to help with the seal. Left overnight, as you say.

I wish I had known what I know now when this conversation was going on. I am rebuilding the engine bay on my 1956 XK 140 SE and was about to install a new oil filter on the recently reinstalled filter head. My filter unit is the later model with the bolt entering the canister at the bottom. According to Viart’s book it would be a F2708.
I had ordered a filter from Moss which was a paper element that came with two rubber sealing rings. Both are square (or nearly square) in section. One is a little thicker than the other, and both seem to have the same interior diameter. They are way too thick to fit in the groove in the filter head and actually a bit larger in diameter than the shoulder on the underside of the filter head at its periphery. I fiddled with it for some time but there is no way those are going to work.
The groove in the filter head is quite narrow, essentially the width of the wall of the cannister, It almost looks like there isn’t any sealing ring. I noticed on the table that there isn’t any sealing ring noted for that model. Is it the case that there isn’t one. Thanks for any guidance.

Hi Craig,
I have no experience of the filter type you mention, but I have never seen a canister-type filter that doesn’t use a seal. I’m sure that would leak, as it’s sealing against pressure.
Hopefully someone who knows that model will help.

The o-ring for the FA2708 is Jaguar part 5180 or Tecalemit 137365 as listed in the Mark VII and Mark VIII SPCs, but the Mark IX SPC says it is 137494.

Craig,

When I made that table, the problem was that Jaguar didn’t mention the FA2708 oil filter in the XK 140 Spare Parts Catalogue. But like Rob R already mentioned, it was used on the Mk VII Saloon as well and there the full description was available. See updated table.
But even then, there’s always a new problem ahead. Rob mentioned the description that Jaguar used for the Mk IX. However, Jaguar states that FA 2690/101 and FA 2708 both use the same Filter Element Tecalemit FG2421 which for me is reason enough to stick to seal Tecalemit 137365 (which is provided in the box when you order a new filter element anyway).

Bob K.

It’s certainly a curiosity. Moss shows 13365 as the o-ring for the 140, but we know that FA2708 was used on the Mark VII and VIII. There it calls for a 13370. I found that SNG Barratt has an o-ring 5180 which they show primarily for the big saloons, but also for the 140. I placed an expedited order for one. Hopefully it’s the ticket.
Rob, where did you find the number you cited?
Thanks to all.

The part numbers I quoted are from the Spare Parts Catalogues.
There seem to be some discrepancies or errors in the Moss offerings, as certainly early Mark VII differed from later Mark VII, just as XK120 differed from XK140.