Oil Leak Gearbox Fail

Those of you on the GCOL (Oil Leak) know that Steve P’s S1½ OTS had a ‘failure to proceed’ in Hite, Utah. Steve got the car home this past week with the help & trailer of J-L member Len W.

The prognosis was not good as the gearbox was seized in gear(s), the car could only be moved with the clutch depressed. I fully expected we would be dropping the engine and gearbox this week, but no…

Removing the console and the top cover of the gearbox revealed that a screw (bolt) on the right side of the box (aka the fulcrum pin) had backed out and allowed its lever to drop. This bolt:

It is supposed to be secured by a tabbed lock washer, that was present but had somehow escaped or avoided its locating hole in the case.

It has now been remedied and Steve reports he again has 4 forward and 1 reverse. Some flushing, examination and a fluid change are still to come but all appears to be well.

I mention this to offer ‘the rest of the story’ and also to point out a failure mode I had not previously heard of. Of course, I immediately checked mine (easily visible from under the car) to confirm it was still secure.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s really good news! Glad to hear he’s back on the road!
Please give him our regards Geo, really enjoyed him and Norma!
Cheers,
LLynn

2 Likes

That’s certainly preferable to pulling the engine and tearing into the gear box.