Oil leak repair cost estimate

Have you done a compression test on the cylinders to test his rebuild? If it was shoddy work on cam carrier seal, there could be other bits not done well?

No. There has not been an outside compression check performed. Another jag mechanic who has recently worked on the

car for other unrelated issues to the rebuild said he

thought other aspects of the work was good. Apparently the issues “under warranty” which included transmission

( which recently had to be rebuilt ) and the oil leak are issues he’s trying to avoid. The California Bureau of Automotive

Repair was involved during the rebuild, but not after I retrieved the vehicle.

Unfortunately, there is only other jag mechanic in the area,

an older guy, who seems hesitant about taking on the task.

Small claims require at least two estimates.

Have you made any progress on this?

At the risk of sounding like a dummy, what weight of oil are you running and did you do a recent change from dino to synthetic? Sometimes a recent oil change, detergents and modern oil can clean out sludge, affect gaskets and point out leaks you never knew you had.
But I don’t want to start another oils discussion. Others may chime in.

SINCE the car was return in January/23, I have not driven the car for more than 200 plus miles due to the on going oil leak and transmission issue ( trans recently repaired). As a result, the oil has not been changed and when I have in the past, I’ve used castrol 5/30. I’m not sure what the mechanic used and due to our ongoing rift, have not inquired. But because you posed he question, I’m going to second check to ascertain if it isn’t synthetic as I still have s few containers that should probably be disposed of due to age. I can only assume there is little sludge build-up since the engine was rebuilt?

There is a VERY GOOD set of videos on YouTube entitled “Jaguar XKE v12 tappet block & head seal”…by Thomas Walker. Eight (8) videos total. It might be beneficial to show and understand the parts and work involved to do what is being discussed here.

Going to try to post the link to the videos, but if it doesn’t work, avail yourself to the vids by going to Youtube and in their search box…type in the wording in the above quotes.

I think that worked.

SD Faircloth

Yes David. Worked for me

Only filed papers for small claims court and attained a court date. THX AGAIN!!

1 Like