Oil pan drainback fitting fix

I decided to replace the 4-1/2" oil drain back line that goes from the filter head to the fitting that bolts to the sump. The problem is the fitting on the filter head is a different size that the fitting on the sump. What to do? Jaguar apparently used a length of hose that was sized differently on each end.

So I ordered the “correct” hose from one of the usuals and received a length of hose that was 1/2" ID and extremely stiff. Superman would have trouble fitting it. Totally rubbish IMHO.

So I decided the best thing to do would be to buy a length of hose that would properly fit on the filter head and I’d figure out a way to enlarge the fitting on the sump. I vaguely recall George Cohen doing something similar years ago.

I bought a length of 5/8" ID hydraulic hose from the auto parts store. If it’ll handle hydraulic oil it’ll handle motor oil. I then found that a short length of 1/2 type M copper pipe fit snugly over the end of the sump fitting once I’d trimmed off Jaguar’s half hearted attempt at a flare. You’ll need a piece about 1-1/4" long.

I secured the copper pipe to the sump fitting with JB Weld. That added diameter is sufficient to allow the hose to fit snugly over the fitting.

John,

Me too, except I soldered the copper pipe on.

Jerry

I was going to braze it on but decided JB Weld should work.

One other thing I did was to added a ferrule to the end of the copper pipe to provide for more positive location of the lower end of the hose.

1 Like

Nice touch!

plus 5 characters

Jerry

1 Like

Jerry, we call that type of compression ferrule an “olive” - available in brass or nylon. Just for the purposes of globalising language. Paul

And for the finishing touch - add a stripe (sort of yellowish-white) to the hose.

I made the ferrule out of a short length cut from a ½" copper cap and soldered on, but the olive would have saved some trouble.

I believe one of the usuals was touting a correct odd-ended hose in one of those press-release mailings many of us get. Don’t recall which vendor but I mostly get emails from SNGB and XKs. . Doubtless dearer than normal but probably worth it

You may be right. I think it was him (albeit spelled Cohn)…

Ah Geo nice touch but all yellow stripe hoses have a brown stripe on the reverse side:smiling_imp:

Misspelling George’s last name is a hard habit to break. :persevere:

I soldered mine too but the ferrule is a great idea that I may copy when I replace the engine this spring.
Thanks for the idea John.
Cheers,
Lynn

Ahwahnee,
How did you make the yellowish-white marking on the hose?
Regards,
Steven R. Card (2R13840)

I just used ordinary paint – Krylon in an off-white. Seems to have held up fine (7 years).