Oil Pressure Gauge Flexible Hose

Dear All.
Help please.
Would someone please advise the current thinking regarding replacing / modifying the flexible hose from the cylinder block to the oil pressure gauge on our 3.5 litre MK IV.
On a recent outing, the hose suddenly started to leak and wasn’t observed until we stopped the car, on checking the oil level in the sump, from full, it was down to half on the dipstick, thankfully an engine disaster averted.
Regards
David

I replaced mine about 50 years ago, and my hazy memory is that it was the same pipe as used on later XK-engined jJaguars.

Worcester Classic Spares has them - pt. no. M1. I have wondered about fitting, and how to fit, an isolating tap in the line before the flexible section to shut this branch off in the event of a leak in the flex or gauge. I saw one added to another car, non Jaguar.

1 Like

Correct, it’s the same as for XK120 so readily available from Moss Motors and others. Now they are made covered with copper braiding.

Here is my old dead original from the '38 SS.

Gentlemen, Thank you, very much appreciated.
Regards
David

Similar to above, when the fabric-covered line ruptured at 50 years old on my Mark V, Cordell Newby sold me a metal braid-covered line that has been in place 20 years now. I also bought a spare from Cordell, against his advice that the spare would never be needed. So far he is correct.

1 Like

Thank you Roger, much appreciated.
Regards
David