Oil pressure gauge in 85 xjs

gauge stopped working. put in new sending unit, still no gauge in dash…considering installing a mechanical gauge

Michael,

Are you sure that the new sending unit is good? There have been posts on this and other Jag-Lovers lists about bad oil pressure senders right out of the box. Because a part is new, it doesn’t mean it is good. I have found this out the hard way more than a few times. It could also be a wiring (White-Brown wire) problem, connections on the instrument panel or the gauge. Don’t throw the old sender away because it might be good.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Michel, if the problem is not cured and you did have test the gauge, then it is likely the printed circuit at the back of instrument cluster. I have the same problem and the solution was to install an other printed circuit.
Regards, Eltjo

The oil & temp barrel gauges in my car are not very accurate from new. I installed two temp & oil pressure Auto Meter gauges. Readings on the barrel oil gauge was off about 20lbs and the temp gauge was 210F as compared to the bottom of the “N” on the barrel dash gauge. The AM oil sensor is installed right next to the stock sender. The AM temp sensor’s were installed/tried in various spots, I decided on the back of each water rail.