Oil pressure issues with relatively new engine

And does it stick to a magnet?

Such surging, leaving the pump sucking air, should not really happen even towards low dipstick mark, Julian, I never experienced it - may be I was not braking hard enoughā€¦:slight_smile:

On the other hand; not many drive with low oil level - so lack of reports on the subject may not mean that your symptoms signify something seriously wrong? Oil pressure varies with oil temp and rpms, of course, but should be constant at constant at constant rpmsā€¦

As an aside; oil pressure is ā€˜regulatedā€™ by the resistance to the oil flow, the relief valve has no controlling function - except bypass at relief pressure. And if you mean the washer in the housing, at the end of the spring: steel ā€˜washersā€™ are used to alter relief pressures, or compensate for loss of spring tension. And maybe to protect the aluminum housing from the steel spring?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Very good point. I figured if metal is found that would "enticeā€™ a discovery period to determine what metal is present and where it may have come from! Not all metal particles come from bearing wear so a little education goes a long way.

What a good idea ! Will do forensic exam as part of the rebuild of filter assembly

Hi Frank to clarify , I check engine before every trip and ensure oil is to full mark on dip stick or very close to it. Car burns no oil visibly and oil in sump is as new not dark colour. Hence my concern that the low oil pressure light and pressure gage indicate a loss of oil but after a stop and restart all is normal again and sump shows plenty of oil in place. I have a second also new pressure relief valve and sealing washer to fit, (very expensive) about to be filled , but the diagram from SCparts shows another washer that sits on top of the PR valve, the valve contains a piston and spring integral to it so this washer can only be some sort of seal.There is a rubber ring to seal the valve into the housing. My thought is as this top washer is missing and has no part number do I fit one ? If I do what type of washerā€¦ā€¦
I am aiming to post a diagram of the unit and parts tonight to clarify my dilemma. Thanks for your patienceā€¦

Hi Dick, I will do this but is a fairly new Jaguar supplied cartridge type in a metal case so I will need to hacksaw round it to slip off the outer case , this will I fear introduce some metal to the inside, but hopefully this should be obvious as not from inside the engine. Will be in workshop tomorrow .
More follows when opened up. Again thanks

This is the diagram of my filter housing and 52 is the pressure relief valve .
You can see that floating unidentified washer above it .51 is actually the seating washer for the hex base to housing connection .
Any thoughts on what this mystery easer is made of? Is it important , it was missingā€¦
many thanks !

Sorry predictive text it was mystery washer !

On the s3 (different design) this is an important O ring. Stand by

Sure itā€™s not a copper washer that seals the valve to the housing? The drawings arenā€™t always perfectā€¦

His was my thought, it sealed the valve into the housing to stop oil bypassing the spring loaded valveā€¦? Canā€™t do any harm to fit a copper ring

Thatā€™s not a washer, Julian - it is the rubber sealing ā€˜Oā€™ ring. It is shown separated from the piston as an ā€˜independentā€™ partā€¦

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks Frank !
Will install new valve and see if we have an answer.
Best
Julian