Oil Pressure Relief Valve test on bench

Good remark. I used the correct gasket (assuming SNG Barret website is right) and it follows the lines (internal and external) of the filterhead. Anyway I will look into this to check what is actualy happening inside this needles complex thing.
(At least 3 filterheads were used on the XJ6. For what I understand only the last from a S3 is usable if you block the oil cooler lines.)
Regards,
Hedde

Hedde if you take it off the engine could you post a photo of the back. I’ve posted a couple of backs from some filter blocks I’ve got here. The one on the left is, I believe, from a series I 4.2l. The oil comes from the pump into the chamber on the right, then enters the outside of the filter cannister thou a port on the back of that chamber that you can’t see in the photo. It passes through the filter element and enters the center chamber through the center hole, then it enters the engine block oil galley from this center chamber. The pressure relief valve (40 psi) is on the left. This is a full flow filter block because all the oil picked up by the pump goes through the filter element. Some will then go into the engine, some will go through the pressure relief valve back to the sump if the pressure is greater than 40 psi. The valve in the center is the filter bypass valve. While difficult to see it connects the chamber on the right to the center chamber via a spring loaded ball (?) and opens in the event that the oil filter plugs up enabling oil to pass from the right to the center chamber without being filtered. The chamber on the lower left doesn’t do anything.

The filter block on the right is from a Ser III XJ6 which has an oil cooler. There is no filter bypass valve because the spin on filter has one internal to it. The oil from the pump enters the horizontal chamber on the right. where it can go 3 different places. While you can’t see in the photo the two round objects on the top are outlet (right) and inlet (left) ports to the oil cooler. The outlet port is through drilled to the horizontal chamber. The oil can go up from the horizontal chamber though the outlet port on the right which is not connected to the upper chamber, circulate throu the oil cooler, and return to the inlet port into the upper chamber. It them flows throu a passage in the back of the chamber to the outside of the filter, through the filter and back into the center small domed chamber and back into the engine block oil galley…The pressure relief valve is on the right and has a 60 psi spring. Oil returns to the sump out the rubber horizontal tube if the pressure exceeds that. That is the second path of the oil. The third path is through the pressure valve on the left. It contains a weak spring and ball. It permits some pumped oil from the horizontal chamber to enter the upper chamber where it will mix with the cooled oil before entering the outside of the filter It’s purpose seems to be one of creating the pressure necessary to push some of the oil through the cooler, and secondly it acts as a relief valve if the cooler is blocked, either by a thermostatic valve or something else.

This is a partial flow filter arrangement as some pumped oil will be returned to the sump unfiltered. All oil actually entering the engine is filtered.

The fitting you see to the left of the inlet port connects to the pipe that delivers oil to the cams, a different arrangement to the E types

As you can see it’s not really suitable to use on an E Type without the oil cooler. or alternatively blocking both inlet and outlet ports, and possibly removing the left relief valve.

In both filter block the port to the pressure transmitter is connected only to the chamber where the oil enters the engine oil galley.

I have on my coupe and ots two different filter blocks again from these two photographed that have the 60 psi relief spring and are off XJ6’s. If I get them off I’ll post photos.

IMG_8774 IMG_8775

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the explanation. The right photograph is of a XJ6 S3 I believe.
This is a picture of the other side, it holds the spin on oil filter.

I myself have a e-type S2 variant, it is also used on XJ6 series 1. It takes both long thin e-type filters as wel as thick short XJ filters.
This is a picture (from internet).

The center outlet contains the unservicable oil releif valve.
The left outlet is just a outlet, returns to the sump via leaking hose construction.
Regards,
Hedde

1 Like

David, could you please tell me if you need to remove the oil filter housing from the block to unscrew the OPRV from the housing?
From what I have looked at, it seems to me impossible to remove the valve in-situ because of constrained space around the 1.1/16’ hex nut (talking here of a 3.8 S1):

The only way I see is to remove the filter housing from the engine block and work on the bench…

Four bolts to take the block off, then work at your bench. The only catch is that you’ll have to see the back to pick the right gasket.

On my 4.2, I didn’t have any issue getting a socket on it insitu. Might be different on a 3.8, but it looks the same as I recall

Serge,

I’ve never had cause to try to remove the pressure relief valve on a 3.8, but judging by your photo someone in the past has made a mess of that particular valve on your car. To avoid further damage, I’d be looking to find a thin walled socket or ring-spanner to tackle it. An open-ended wrench will probably slip off the already rounded faces.

David, yes, definitely the nut has been damaged, and no, there is no way to introduce even a thin-walled socket or ring spanner (but I would be glad to hear any successful experience of others if I am wrong).
I had purchased a specific high quality ring spanner to do that and the ring (not even talking of the open ends) is by far thicker than the available space.

Maybe that’s the reason why the nut has been butchered by the PO or by a lazy serviceman!
Odd, by the way, that the filter housing casting was not designed to allow that…

So, I’ll do as Frank suggests and take the housing off and source the right gasket.