Oil Valve Relief Questions

Hello,
I’m rebuilding a Tecalemit oil filter head and could not find any info as to approximately how many turns to screw the valve relief spring housing (100195) the into the valve body to get an approximate initial pressure reading. I would of assumed there would be a starting depth.
Also, I’m curious as to the pricing discrepancy of the valve relief spring (160371) where one notable company is priced at $3.38 and another notable company is priced at $29.99.
Alan

Start with about 3/8" of threads showing.

relief valve

The spring is 0.447"-0.450" OD, wire diameter 0.047"-0.048", uncompressed length 2.210", 16 coils with finish squared ends, regular spring steel (not stainless).

Possibly one vendor took the trouble to duplicate those specs, and the other just found a commercial spring that was close enough.

1 Like

Rob,
Thx for the information.
I am missing the locknut (150202) and the usual vendors do not stock this part. it appears to be a
3/4-20 tpi jam nut, which is a special size. McMaster-Carr sells what they refer to as a panel or jam nut but with a thickness of 7/16", which is too thick.
If anyone has an extra nut and is willing to sell it, please PM me.
Thanks,
Alan

If you end up having a machinist make that nut, the overall thickness is 0.203" and the hex is 1.101" across the flats. Be sure that both surfaces are microfinished smooth and square to the thread for a good seal with the copper washers.

Rob, do you think it feasible to take the nut from McMaster-Carr and flatten both sides till it is thinner?

Rob,
I’m sure you meant .203" on the nut thickness.
Alan

1 Like

Right, so corrected.
McMaster has steel nuts in 3/4-20 UNEF, not brass. Yes, a good machinist could cut them down thin in a lathe.
These thin nuts are also known as panel nuts, as used on instrument panels.
I did a net search but did not find any brass panel nuts with that thread.

Took the suggestion of ordering one from McMaster-Carr and milled it to Rob’ thickness dimension. I’m the proud owner of a vintage 1960’s Bridgeport.
Alan

1 Like

Check the parallelism of your cut, it has to seal on both sides.

Rob,
I’m good on that. The machine is trammed and on something that small I doubt I’m out a couple of tenths (0.0001)
Alan