Oilsump early Mk2 (LB...) engine. Leakage

Have an 3.8 l early Mk2 engine (LB…) installed in my XK150FHC. Oil sump is of steel sheet metal design. After latest oilchange a leakage started between lower smaller container and the main sump body.
Probably damaged the joint between the two units?
Anyone know how to repair? Have tried to find drwg to see how the joint between the main body and the lower smaller unit is made, but not managed.
Comments/ideas much appreciated.
Hans in Sweden

Welcome Hans.
Welded seam. Like this one from a 140.
C8592%20sump
PICT0010
Probably best to take it off to get a better look.

It was used on a lot of engines so there may be some in the UK.

Dear Rob,
Many thanks for your valuable info! Yes I think I remember now it is a welded seam! So many years ago I put the engine together after renovation…
Will take the sump down in short also.

I am sure the Alloy sump is just a bolt on job , just need to change the oil pick up pipe !

Hi Ian and many thanks for your thoughts!

Have just began to look into eBay for possible sumps if mine cannot be easily repaired…

Hans

Skickat från min iPhone

Contact Jaguar Heaven In California. Usual disclaimer.

Pat H

Hi Pat and thank you very much for your suggestion!

Have now made inquiry to them and eagerly waiting for response.

/Hans

Skickat från min iPhone

i have a mk 9 tin sump that your are welcome to for free.

1 Like

Dear Phil,

What a generous offer! Thank you so much!

Do you think it would fit my Mk2 engine? I guess it is the same engine block, so should be ok…

Could you shortly describe the condition of your mk9 sump? Would you even have a photo?

Best regards Hans

Skickat från min iPhone

Will post a photo. It will fit just need to ensure you have the correct pick up pipes and rear crank seal housing.

With best regards

1 Like

Hi again Phil,
I just wonder if you got my separate mail with two photos?
Best regards
Hans

I did and I responded

Im sure the Ali sump is from a mk2. I’m also sure both sumps will fit your engine.

I need to research the mk9 sump capacity

With best regards

Dear Phil,

Thank you very much for your quick response!! However of some reason did not get the answer…

Very grateful for your engagement in my problems!

And very positive to read that you beleive both sumps will fit my Mk2 engine!

Oil volume for mk9 sump will be interesting to learn. Have tried to find out myself but not yet managed…

Is the mk9 sump complete with for ex filter/strainer around Oil pickup pipe? If not I will arrange.

I need to arrange suitable oilpickup pipe of course.

Do you think you could arrange for shipment to me in Sweden?

And could you estimate shipment cost so I can transfer payment to you?

How much roughly would you estimate?

With best regards

Hans

Skickat från min iPhone

I have the oil filter assembly but I think a mk 2 is the same. As for shipment its the packing that gives me a concern. Is there not someone you know who visits the UK

Thank you again Phil for answer!

I ment just the strainer around the oil pickup pipe in the sump. Not the oilfilter unit.

Understand your concern about packing for shipment. Will check with my Jag-friends about ways.

Best regards

Hans

Skickat från min iPhone

I don’t appear to have the strainer

With best regards

Thanks again for answer!

Ok, no problem. Good to know, I will arrange self.
Would you judge mk9 sump is complete aside from the strainer? Connection nipple” for oilreturn hose perhaps?

Sorry to load you with many questions…!

Best regards

Hans

Skickat från min iPhone

Yes it’s complete. I’ll send some more photos

With best regards

Oops. Good job you asked. The mk9 sump does not have an external connection for the return line. The mk9 oil filter assembly returns the oil to the block. I don’t have a mk9 filter assembly so I think you should only consider the aluminium one.

The aluminium dumps were available on eBay for about £250.0 not sure if they still are.

With best regards

Aj… such a pity!!

Had now seen from my XK150 parts book that the original oil sump looks the same as your mk9 one! But obviously without the external return oil connection…

Wondering wether a hose connection could be mounted on the side of the sump, welded or bolted?

I will consult some friends . By the way what would you think?

Re mk2 Al-sump. I suppose it has a separate smaller barrel below the main one. Not fully clear from your photos. But it seems so.

I regret to ask, but would it be possible for you to measure the width of that lower barrel…? Reason is I had some difficulties to arrange one of the exhaust down pipes to get clear from this lower barrel when I installed the engine. Had to lengthen and slightly bend that pipe.

Best regards and sorry for my ongoing questions…

Hans

Skickat från min iPhone