Old responses show up as new?

For the last few weeks, sometimes when I get a blue number next to my Icon,

(which normally indicates someone has responded to a recent post)

however, now sometimes I now get that for quite old responses

In the last 2 days, I have had random notification to responses as old as 3 years

Its not a big issue or complaint for me, but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same ?

(and notify the admin that this peculiarly exists)

Possibly someone replied to an old thread that you started?

good thought, but not the complete explanation

I also see the notifications upon opening my Icon, are different to earlier today, and very strangely jumbled in a non-chronological way

As a second question, sometimes when you quote someone (like I did with you), the quote does not appear, and when you add it in, it shows 2 modifications…dunno why?

I really don’t know what to say, as I don’t see any of the symptoms you mention.

Are you by any chance using a very old browser?

Thanks for your comment

hmmm…sometime during a recent auto software update, I recall my browser was somehow changed from (I think) Firefox, to currently Microsoft Edge

Maybe the 2 issues coincided, Firefox wants me to logon to JL, but I dont know my JL password, I will investigate

I’ve been having the same issue for some time now using Safari on my phone. I get a few times a week a notification of a reply or that someone liked one of my posts but they are old posts or posts that I can see that was liked some time ago. Not sure why that is but it doesn’t affect my usability with the site.

Just so we’re on the same page: We’re talking about notifications in the web user interface, right? Not email notifications?

I’m using Safari on my iPhone as well. I also use both Safari and Brave (Chrome) on my laptop a lot. I still haven’t experienced this problem.

I searched on the developers’ site, but there was nothing that matches this. We host the forum in AWS, with lots of CPU, memory, and storage resources. There are no bottlenecks anywhere, I’ve checked.

Bottom line: I’m not sure even where to start troubleshooting this…

That’s correct Gunnar. The web interface. I’m agree it’s confusing and figured it would work itself out sooner or later. Just find it odd to get a notification for something I posted months ago and had already received notification for it being liked or receiving a response.

I noticed the same when Discord updated the user interface (changed the layout of the dropdown menu from the user icon in the top right) a few weeks ago. Logged in one day and had a ton of notifications. There was an acknowledge/mark-as-read or some similar type command at the bottom of the notification pane, which I selected. I haven’t noticed continual notifications for old replies/likes since.

1 Like

Thanks Jay. I just went and dismissed/cleared a bunch of old notifications so hopefully that takes care of the issue.

1 Like

I’ve been getting these randomly since the upgrade. It’s a minor nuisance, but I wish it would stop.

I don’t think there’s anything I can do about this, other than hope the devs fix it in a future update.

fwiw,

I am not sure exactly what I did, but went in and saw a “dismiss” check box,
which I checked (but its irreversible)

This seems to have rectified the issue, although I need to wait and look more before I am sure

Today my responses are in date order, and dont include old unrelated answers from 2017 etc !

The initial problem corresponded to a recent change in the layout of the sub-menu of message and other notifications

I think it’s really just a case of clearing all the old notifications, something that has to be actually selected rather than just clicking on the avatar and seeing that they are there. I have heaps of various notifications still tantalisingly blue, but they are of varying ages and it takes an actual effort to notice which of them are new and hence put a blue number on my avatar.

Just select “Dismiss” at the bottom of the list to clear them.

Yes, that worked for me.