Old XJ-S commercial from 1976

I knew I liked her for some reason…:heart_eyes:

A mate had a P5B Coupe when we were students. The chopped roof line looked wicked, like a custom lowrider, and the interior was like driving a living room filled with Chesterfield sofas and mahogany tables. The previous owner kindly gave us a “free” spare gear box. After a couple of weeks we found out why.

1 Like

Stop taunting me. The P5B is one of my favourite cars…

I wouldn’t be surprised if the queen just filled her own tank. It’s not like there are that many attendants around, and given that she is a trained truck mechanic (she was in the ATS like my grandmother), using a petrol pump isn’t exactly beyond her ability. I don’t think she drives any more though, given her age.

WOW. :open_mouth: Funny, in that here in the States … I was just reading a list of “six things that ex-presidents are not allowed to do” … one of those is to drive themselves. I guess that means the Secret Service personnel always act as chauffeur, whether the ex officio wants them to or not. :frowning_face: What’s interesting about that is that a few years ago the federal laws/regulations/guidlines were changed so that an ex-president is only entitled to (free) SS protection for, IIRC, a maximum of six years after leaving office. If they want “bodyguards” after that period they have to pay for it out of their own pocket. I think many of us have seen that video where President Obama, back when he was in office, takes a ride in a Jag (or RR?) with Jay Leno or some other celeb around the White House grounds. When they get to the exit gate, though, intending to head out onto the public byways, the guard tells them to turn around … he will NOT let the president leave the grounds w/o his SS “contingent”, no matter the prez’s personal wishes to the contrary. :no_entry:

I guess that scene then in King Ralph where John Goodman’s character decides to sneakily drive off from Buckingham Palace to go with his (butler?) to a local Burger King to eat results in the security contingent - upon learning of it - totally freaking out is not realistic? :confused:

Being that I have never been to the U.K. (sadly), I wondered whether they even have “pump your own” there … Very oddly enough, we have one or two states here in the U.S. where pumping can ONLY be done by an attendant, allegedly for “safety” reasons. :crazy_face: I have long suspected though the law was designed to create a few needed jobs back in the day (or else to grease some politician(s)’ palm(s) :wink: ).

Try “Guarding Tess” if you want a funny movie about the trials of being on a security detail for an ex-presidents wife.

99.99% pump your own.

Having never once seen them before, 2 or 3 years ago one of the main shell stations I went to actually had attendants. They weren’t there for long, I think people got weirded out by it. Haven’t seen any since, but I’ve been using the supermarket only since it’s pay at pump.

I’ve always wondered what “people with disabilities” do when it comes time to fill their tank alone. :thinking: I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone like that actually struggling to put gas in their vehicle. I have heard that supposedly on some of the pumps you can push that “button to talk” and request assistance, and then ostensibly one of the workers will come out and pump gas for you, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen, either. :confused: Seems whenever I have pushed one of those buttons to ask a question about something or point out something not working/missing, either the damn thing doesn’t work or possibly the workers are just ignoring me. :angry: Somehow also I don’t see them stepping outside the store and away from their register long enough to assist a customer. :roll_eyes:

More likely to receive assistance from a fellow motorist than to get an attendant. Through no fault of their own I suspect…most of these places don’t staff at a level that would permit

They could’ve just called this video, “Mediocracy On Parade”…:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

They left out the part where Ricardo Montalban mentions the “rich Corinthian leather” of the Cordoba … :roll_eyes:

One of the most bizarre T.V. car ads I ever saw was a German one for the Opel GT (one of my fav cars, btw). It shows a very corpulent man having a difficult time trying to get into one, without success. WTH??? Why would a car manufacturer want to diss their own car to people of size who might otherwise buy one? :confused:

Found it. Actually, the guy isn’t that big … I have to wonder if they “hyped” this up a bit, as I don’t think someone that size would really have a problem getting into the seat of one. In fact, I was almost 300 lbs. when I had my last one, and I had no problem getting in or out of it … :thinking:

btw, can anyone translate that German tag line at the end for me?

@MartinScherz?

Here you go:

Well, the Opel GT doesn‘t seem to fit - no worries though, we are sure we have a fitting car for you as well!

2 Likes

Danka! (thanks, I think I spelled it right :blush: ) … :smile_cat:

Nein.
Should be Danke

That’s right Paul. “Reech” Coronthee-an Leather.

I had a 78 Cordoba with that…sure was nice. Black car with black interior and black vinyl on the rear half of the roof. The front buckets were large and comfortable.