On going rebuild

Pat, when you said larger calipers I thought you may have meant ones with larger pistons.
I actually remanufacture these calipers using the front pistons from the 4 piston XJ(S) caliper so that you maintain a better brake balance when using a larger piston front caliper such as the Wilwood C4 Corvette type.

Norman
Fronts are alloy 4 pots, again with ventilated discs, standard master cyls and a twin ended servo will provide assistance.

Might be worth having a look at the single wiper blade system on a Mazda RX7,

Norman
SVC Ltd do a kit which looks like it provides everything. I am more interested in where the wiper motor is mounted and the routing of the bundy tubes. I am thinking above the passengers knees on the underside of the bulkhead, (in a RHD car).

Regards
Pat

A bit more done and laid out, just want the shell now…

Is that a ZF 5 speed gear box for it ?

David
68 E-type FHC

Nothing so grand, it’s a Toyota Supra 5 speed, which is reputably good for 600 bhp, so should easily accommodate the E 's output. The gearlever is yet to be modified although the tower has been and I even have a "Lightweight"spec gear knob waiting.

Wow!!! That is Artistry in Alloy.
I look at this stuff and say …" Wow…I couldn’t do that!"… and let out a respectful whistle.
It’s a bit like watching Valentino Rossi on full noise skidding on his back wheel with the front wheel off the ground.
Same respectful whistle …it’s why I watch the GP bikes and love the creation of these aluminium beauties…it’s so far from what is normally “possible” that it is amazing to behold!!!
Matt

600 - if you ever try to use 600 bhp through a Supra Gearbox, expect expensive disappointment.

Back in 1980s/90s the SUPRA gearboxes were thought to be an easily accessible/cheap gearbox for those racing Mark 2s etc, and thus not close to 600 bhp, but ongoing failures quickly proved they were just not up to the job behind a not excessively tuned XK motor. I don’t know the details, being of peripheral interest only, but certainly they were not well regarded at all by the more serious racers.
If a road and/or show car, probably wont matter.

Roger

Roger
Thanks for the input. I did some research prior to selection and from the Supra owners forum comments varied on the upper BHP figures the boxes were deemed reliable, ranging from 450 through to 900!.

All were in agreement that the real weakness of the box was the lay shaft thrust washers when the engine was configured for max torque and used in drag applications.

I suspect my use will be restricted to road with an occasional track day and with the box having just been rebuilt will be fine. If it proves not to be the case I will change it to something else.

Regards
Pat

That oil filler/ breather ? Purchased or fabricated? and might it not be more difficult to reach? or am I missing something here as usual !!

Fabricated on a S3 XJ6 housing, and yes will be a little more difficult to reach, but how often do you really need to use it?

Steering rack rebuild now in hand, the original donor car was LHD so I had to source a RHD rack. Its a 4.2 7 pinion version, looking at the stamp on the alloy casing it may even be a S2 .

Ordered the two needle roller bearings, large tube bush and tab washers. Already got E Type TRE’s and gaiters.

Does anyone know where I can get the cover for the smaller needle roller, which was damaged during removal, its a small domed plate/washer. TIA

New parts arrived plus items back from plating.

Also back from plating are the front suspension items, plus new bushes, bearing seals etc. Looking forward to screwing this little lot back together.

Went to see the start of the shell build as my car is now finally at the build assembly stage.

The bulkhead has been assembled on a separate jig and when the floor structure is nearer completion the bulkhead will be married to it. The bulkhead was just sat loosley on the inner sills for a photo.

Note where strength is required the areas are skinned with steel, as per originals.

The shell is being made and assembled some 2 hours away so I have asked for photos as the build progresses, if interested I will post more as it continues its build.

Absolutely interested. Please post some more, Pat.

FRightened to know the price in case I can stretch to it…better not to know !!

Bit more on the shell, note ZF gearbox tunnel, corner strengtheners on the inside of the B posts, rear brake access and full length sill strengtheners. Each day brings it closer.

Wonderful pictures of the build, keep 'em coming Pat.