On the road again

Hi all,

I’ve owned a 1983 Daimler Double Six since 2010, which I hardly used since, though she seemed reliable enough until 2013, when I tried to start her up after some time only to find she would stall as she warmed up.

This has continued in the years since, indeed I have hardly used her due to the random nature of the stalling, preferring to simply start and let her idle once or twice a month, just to keep her running, until I had time to deal with the issue… and the time is now.

I’ve been through this forum and came across an old thread that indicates a possible cause being dirt in the fuel system, that could clog up the mesh filter and cause the stall… this also explains the random nature of the stall.

So I intend dropping and cleaning up the tank… hope this works.

I would also like to know anything else that I should do in anticipation of using the car after a such a long time… replacing brake, fuel, oil and water pipes, fluids and filters being at the top of my list.

BigBro,

Before you take the tanks out try to drain them first and see what comes out…
There are big drain plugs at the bottom of the tanks, just pop-out the rubber covers at the bottom of the rear valances and you will see them.
It’s also a good idea to ad an in-line filter(s) before the pump.

But before anything else I would change the module in the Ignition Amplifier.
And get nothing else but the original GM one.

Aristides

If the car is an XJ40 or later, there will be only one tank and no rubber bungs etc.

Thank you Aristides1,

I did indeed drain the tanks, fuel came out crystal clear… I’m also doubting my initial assumption about the blockage in the tanks.

The car is relatively dry and rust free overall, indeed the fuel pump, filter and lines appear to be in very good condition, so rust in the system now seems highly unlikely.

I understood that if the Ignition Amplifier goes, the car wont run at all. With mine the stalling is intermittent, so it will either dies VERY soon after start up (not even hot) or at other times she runs like absolutely nothing is wrong.

Thank you Peter, mine has two tanks.

It’s a 1983 Daimler Double Six Van den Plaas

S[quote=“BigBro, post:4, topic:352827”]
I understood that if the Ignition Amplifier goes, the car wont run at all. With mine the stalling is intermittent, so it will either dies VERY soon after start up (not even hot) or at other times she runs like absolutely nothing is wrong.
[/quote]

Yours is an 83 so won’t have the Opus ignition (I don’t think). Ignition amp failure is usually when it gets hot and then works again after cooling. Coils are similar. A bag of frozen peas or a supply of iced water to cool those parts after intermittent failure, will be a good clue as to where the trouble lies.

The Ignition Amp can have intermittent failures, has happened to me.
The module is very inexpensive and a good idea to change it anyway, especially if it’s +30 years old.

Aristides

Stalling as she warms up is often a sign of a wayward CTS… ie your motor floods because it is getting the same amount of fuel when warm as she does when cold.

Trev

Hi Aristides,

Yes that makes sense, I will replace it as advised.

BigBro

Makes sense, I may as well replace it.

Thanks