On the search for a manual centre console cover

I’m after a Series III Manual transmission centre console cover, the one that houses the ashtrays…… In any condition as I will refurbish it. There’s a brand new one on ebay but the colour of the wood does not match and its really over priced (£300…) I can also buy one from Mertyl products but really can not justify the £180 they want… If anyone can help I will be forever grateful…

I only have S2 but have a stick gaiter you can use. Just open out the hole on you existing cocer widthways to permit sideways movement - that’s the only differenxe if it’s like S1,S2& XJS

Thanks Peter for the kind offer, Series II is different, I have the gaiter, rubber gaiter cover and transmission cover… my current one had the cruise control auto so it will not modify…

Does it have to be wood? At least up to 84 sovereigns they were black vinyl foil. Wood will be hard to find.

No it does not have to be wood as I can convert that to the Sovereign V12 spec… let me know…

Well then if those can be adapted you could look for one without cruise control, those should be on ebay, and modify or make one yourself from aluminium with some vinyl and a saw, files. Much cheaper than £180 and new but a few hours work.

Problem is the centre console cut out for the auto, even without the cruise is too long (in the direction towards the stereo) and the ones on ebay are usually with the window switch control slopped section, which I don’t need, as I bought the window section separately (new old stock for £14.00). I’d rather find some old knackered manual cover and make it good, as every time I pick up a file or do something mechanical on this car I end up with getting some kind of infection in my fingers (three times now in 12 months) perhaps I should wear some gloves…

Mine too (vinyl) is one piece.

File shavings are nasty. I pulled one out of my finger a few days ago but that doesn’t work for the small splinters… maybe thick nitrile gloves do something, I don’t know how machinists deal with that. Thin gloves don’t work and actual gloves are no good.

Either you copy your auto console by hand or you keep looking. Those manual S3 consoles must be extremely rare…

I know you want the proper one but, in case it helps, my XJ6 just used the auto part with a custom sewn gaiter.

Might that do until you find the proper one?

David

Yeah that would do, think I will get myself some aluminium sheet and get more file shavings under my finger nails… Dave that looks lovely, think I will get the box installed and then take some measurements.
This is my current set up with the auto…