One car East Coast Oil Leak

Hi All, just a note to close out my recent enquiries regarding after market air conditioning and starting absent a an operational AED, Our good selves and our '72 completed a 3,400km round trip to Hobart, Tasmania from Sydney, NSW. This is best done per the little ocean liner that shuttles Bass Strait daily from Melbourne to Devonport in Northern Tasmania. I did fit an aftermarket modern air conditioner and it works a treat! Have details if anyone is interested. The car operated without fault and touched 23 miles per gallon (imperial) on the freeway (air not operating) on one leg. Created quite a bit of interest - coming so far/wearing NSW plates. I have attached a picture of the car at Cradle Mountain Lodge and a couple of what our Real Estate Agents might call “locality shots”. If you haven’t been on a long drive for a while, give it a go! Paul

Hi Paul,
Glad to hear you made it! Trouble free!
What a beautiful part of the world to tour around, Doubt I’ll ever do that, living in England ! Dark, cold damp February here!

Hi Paul. I’d de interested in your aftermarket aircon experience. I’ve got a SIII i use as a daily driver in Adelaide and struggled with the the 40C+ weather last couple months.

Tasmania really is Australia’s premium driving experience. I know a group of exotic owners who go over regularly in German and Italian exotics.

Tom

Hi Tom, I can scan and send to you the spec sheet and some photos of
the job. Get back to you in a couple of days. You might be lucky
enough to get away with just one or two items - modern compressor
(SANDEN) really is the duck’s guts - was able to fit it up using the
old York (single piston) mounting. Happy to help. Paul

That would be great . No hurry, I think Ive made it though this summer…

Hi Tom, here’s some pictures of the install in our '72 XJ6. Most items
are easy to fit - the evaporator under the passenger dash the most
difficult. You probably won’t need to do as much as I have here! Will
install vents over the winter. Paul

Wow, nice work Paul

I hope to do the same trip next year in my S3 XJ12. Will be adding 2500km to the round trip though since I’m driving from Murwillumbah in the North Coast. Also doubt I’ll get close to the 23 mpg…

Thanks for the pics.

Cheers
John

Hi John, the 23 mpg involved a lot of “soft pedaling” on a particularly frugal piece of expressway in Tasmania. Don’t expect to manage it often! Our car could do with a fourth gear overdrive to make a great cruiser - plenty of torque at 75% of top gear revs I’m sure. Paul