One for a real e-type sage; squeaking noise in front of driver

Greetings and hopefully someone has had a similiar experience.
My 66 coupe has developed a squeaking noise directly in front of the driver (LHD). On advise from a local jaguar tech, I have replaced the engine mounts and rear stabilizer. Removed IP pad and checked for anything obvious. When moving the steering wheel it does not generate the noise, though it seems to come from that area over bumps. I thought this was very specific to my car BUT a friend with a OTS has exactly the same noise and location! I’ve owned this car for 28 years and know it well, but this has me stumped. Has anyone had this issue and could offer advise?

Check the bonnet lock pin. My passenger side started doing this some years ago. Pushing on it at rest did nothing, it was only on the move. I adjusted it until there was a bit of resistance when locking it. Been fine ever since.

1 Like

Thanks, but it’s not the lock pins ( those rattle on their own…)
Again, the noise seems to be directly in front of the driver, the reason I pulled the IP pad in case something had come loose inf front of the speedo and tach.

If not the pins it could be the latching hook itself where it contacts the horizontal bar on piece attached to the bonnet. Smear a bit of grease where the two parts contact and see if the squeak is gone.

Also, and just my opinion, if the pins rattle with the bonnet closed and properly latched additional adjustment is required.

1 Like

They really shouldn’t if they’re set up correctly, have the rubber buffer, and a bit of grease. I had a bit of rattle on the locking rods themselves and realized I was missing the foam front seal which puts a bit of back pressure on it as well as seals out engine compartment fumes.

It’s impossible to diagnose a dash squeak from a distance. It could be any number of joints or fasteners. You’ll need to pull out the dash top and then take a drive and poke around looking for possible suspects. If it goes straight away then it’s the dash itself.

Is the lower column pinch bolt tight, and column mount buffers in good condition? If it hap9ens on turns it could be the rubber hardura rubbing the column.

1 Like

I have a squeak on the front right side of my car.
It does not happen until the suspension is warmed up and only happens
when right suspension is exercised.
I can open the hood, press the car front down and up and hear it.
But I am unable to trace where it comes from.
I have tried to use a stethoscope type thing and the sound seems to come from all the
suspension. I guess it is somehow resonating.
I put custom poly bushings in a few years ago.
I have given up trying to find it and will watch this thread carefully!!
Dennis
69 OTS

Thank Erica, I have not checked column issues despite the noise in that area, seems reasonable. The noise idoes not seem to be related to turns. As I mentioned, I did remove the dash pad, but did not drive the car without it, which I should have.

Of course you’re right, the pins do indeed need ajustment. Probably the biggest rattle in the car. Honestly, I just didnt know how to do it.

Check the latch rod seal pads as I described. They’re visible behind the slot where the rod enters the engine compartment. Mine were completely missing, and I suspect many are. The rod just rattles without the seal.

I had a similar squeak and it turned out to be the bolts and washers on the steering rack/metalistic mounts that prevent the rack from falling off if the mountings fail. These bolts are not tight and are only there for safety. The squeak was from the washers rubbing against the mount.

A couple of drop of oil fixed the squeak.

Andy

I had a squeak from the center like you. It was a maladjusted engine stabilizer. I’d suggest you loosen it off, both the nut and the bottom washer and drive the car.

Polybushings squeak as they get older. That’s why many used to use them.

I second Terry’s suggestion. If the stabilizer has been supporting the weight of the engine in the past it may have resulted in a tear in the firewall which will make “interesting” sounds as it flexes over bumps.

You have to look quite closely to see the crack in the firewall which in my case extended most of the width of the stabilizer bracket.

Hi Terry
Tell me more about poly bushings…
It is a lot of work to take them out…

Dennis

Not a lot to say about them. I’ve had them in two cars, three in the race car if that counts. (With an open exhaust who knows what they were doing ) After a couple of years they started to squeak. Can’t remember if it was when they were cold or warm. Drove me crazy. There are threads about this on this site from 4 years ago or so. It was a common problem. It became notorious enough that Xk’s started advertising that their’s were squeak free. They were black. I’m an autocrosser. When I went back to stock there was only the barest difference detectable. The stock bushings are not very thick so the suspension doesn’t move around much on them.

I had mine made from Delrin that I was told was self lubricating
Dennis

We’re talking about two different things. Poly bushings are softer than Delrin, and are molded. They are typically red. Delrin is a hard machinable plastic. I eventually used it in my race car, machined by a friend for that purpose. They wore out after 4 or 5 years, as the shafts in the control arms rotate in them. Don’t know if wear is a problem on a street car. They are self lubricating. I would think they would be fairly harsh on the street.

Erica,
Thanks, you’re right, missing in my car and not sure they were ever there since my ownership.
I can source the part, is there a method for instalation?

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
I’ve confirmed that the stabilizer bracket appears to be sound and that the latch rod seal pads are missing. So it appears I can cure one (significant) noise source. Next steps is to remove the pad again and drive the car with a copilot. And also check the engine stabilizer and steering column bracket. Appreciate all the input, will post with results.

Had a similar squeak going down the road and it drove me crazy. I ended up finding that bushing #17 was worn and the shaft was in direct contact with metal bracket. Once I replaced the bushing the squeak disappeared. Squirt some oil or motorcycle chain grease and take it for a drive to see if makes a difference before replacing it