"One of the Ugliest Cars of the '70s"?

Was going through a list (quiz) of the 40 or so supposedly ugliest cars of the 1970’s U.S. car market earlier today. I was IDing all of them correctly, but was totally stunned when I came to - you got it - the XJ-S (stock sales pic of a late '70s model shown). :open_mouth: wth???

I have never thought of the XJ-S as being unattractive in appearance, in the least. In fact, I always get compliments on mine, with people even mistaking them for something as exotic as a Ferrari. :money_mouth_face: True, they are not as sleek-looking as their predecessor the E-Type, but still … Here is also what the “answer” stated:

Produced by the British company Jaguar, the Jaguar XJs was sold as a luxury grand tourer. Designed based on the XJ Saloon, the Jaguar XJS was launched in 1975 during what was deemed a bad time. In the wake of the fuel crisis of the '70s, the XJS did not receive great approval.

I certainly did not know also that the fuel crunch had anything to do with its decreased popularity at the time of release – after all, if you can afford one, I would think one could afford the fuel as well (even @ 18 or so MPG). :moneybag: I also do not see how it could be “based on the (Series I) Saloon”, since the two look nothing alike (IMHO). :confused:

If it’s any consolation, the list also included the Bricklin SV-1, which has always impressed me with its looks and gull-wing doors. :+1:

We anchor down opposite sides of the bell curve…

:grimacing:

Did any Porsches make the list?

I guess if one doesn’t like them…don’t have one…I believe design wise, I would rather have had it only a two seat version with no buttress, slightly raised hood and different grille…something like this but a little more refined at the juncture of rear pillar and deck…s1…at least it looks like it is moving…many of today’s autos have strange roof lines, belt line and trapezoid windows which seems strange but probably dictated by a computer to get every mpg out of it for imposed requirements.

I rather like the later 6-cylinder ragtops.

The buttress ones?

:nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

Nope. I guess the author(s) don’t consider Porsche as making any “ugly cars”. Another car on the list though that I take issue with (somewhat) is the Aston Martin Lagonda. I know it has been called “very unusual looking” (esp. for an A.M.) but don’t really see it as “ugly”. The completely flat, covered pop-up headlights are pretty cool, too. :+1: If you want to take the quiz yourself:

https://quizzes.autoversed.com/quiz/can-identify-these-ugly-cars-from-70s?utm_medium=paid&utm_source=gemini&utm_campaign=380589011&utm_term=AOL_PORTAL&utm_content=35095405039&asid=9755590040&device=c&adid=35095405039&mkcpgn=bfaf34a868da4d01b58318c97e6606f9&sg_uid=bfaf34a868da4d01b58318c97e6606f9

They missed the 928…:nauseated_face:

I remember when the XJ-S first came out there was a lot of disappointment that it was an, odd looking, GT rather than the sports car replacement for the E type that everyone wanted. I was OK with the styling then, and I think it has passed the test of time. The ugly duckling became the swan.

They missed the 914! And, really, the 911 wouldn’t win any beauty contests if you didn’t know what it was. Which proves to me what the judgements were based on here.

2 Likes

The XJ-S was based on the floorpan of the S1 XJ.

Nick

Really? The only Porsche I would ever want would be a 928 no older than 1987, with the original rear end lamp treatment. I think they are beautiful cars.

2 Likes

That’s what makes it a horse race!

:wink:

I noticed that they did include the Olds Cutlass, which is actually one of the nicer A Bodies, as well as the Vista Cruiser, which, while a station wagon, had the window in the roof and the “tailgunner” third seat. While I agree on the Pintos and anything sold by AMC (I’m looking at you, Pacer and Gremlin), I think the “ugly 70s” thing was the clickbait part.

Yep…but less so than implied by the statement…this from Skilleter’s book… “Although XJ saloon based, much less than planned of the original structure was used and finally only the front floor panels and the forward transmission tunnel were common.”…

OMG, the ad campaign for the Matador was “Why own a plain car when you can own a Matador?” It was as though they thought that rolling turd was actually good looking!

I’d rather drive an old Checker cab than some of the "stuff out there today

1 Like

With a modern engine and suspension, plus other niceties… I’d drive the HELL out of one of these!

Made a better looking racer: note the lurid rear wheel slides!!!

1 Like

good old Marathons…

Yea: basically a '55 Chevy.

I thought they would have been better served, by simply updating the mechanicals and safety.

Amazing how they nearly instantly disappeared, when taken out of service.