Opening the Bonnet the hard way

So Bill, or should I say ‘Houdini’, are you going to tell the group how you discovered this superbly accurate info about how to escape from a locked engine compartment. And did you fire the employee responsible? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Pete,
It was in response to this Thread. I have a car in work that has the engine and gearbox removed for gearbox refurbishment and with all other parts in place; just like Bill’s car. I was fairly sure it would be improbable to get to the LH Bonnet Lock to disengage it and I knew that the bonnet can’t be moved any which way with the Locks in the closed position. So I simply got inside the engine bay with the bonnet closed and with a torch to have a look around. The rest, as they say, is history.

Regards,

Bill

4 Likes

Top man. I used to think I was a hero for going out into a cold garage to check stuff before typing, but crawling into an engine bay and marking up photos takes the prize.

2 Likes

Wonderful info Bill - thanks you!
Now, so long as the bolts are not rusted in place, I should be able to (quite literally) pull this off!

the other Bill

Hello Bill,
Good name, by the way.

As stated in my first Post, the RH Lock Bracket is easy to get to and the LH can be seen though a gap, therefore, penetrating oil can be got to both brackets; to the LH Bracket via a tube through the line of sight gap, or by taking a spray can to the bracket via the route around the front of the heater, and let it soak for awhile before trying to undo the bolts. However, the bolts are only 1/4 unf, so, in the worst case scenario, which is not all that bad, you will twist the head of the bolt off and you can deal with removing the broken thread (not all that hard) when you have the bonnet open.

Regards,

Bill