Opinion oriented question here

Do we call those “Kent” wheels? Or does the term “Kent” refer only to the chromed steel wheels used on earlier saloons?

1 Like

I’ve seen those, but passed on them … Not sure how well they would really look (original) or how well they would stay on … :thinking:

Yeah, where did you find those stickers/decals, Lover, or did you have them printed up yourself? :confused:

1 Like

Kent are the early XJS and V12 saloon wheels.

Imgur

i work with vinyl in school as part of my trade and i can say that what is on his car looks more like paint, if it were vinyl stickers you would see seams, and if it were a full wrap it wouldnt be that shinny, ive nevver seen a wrap that clean, but it could exist, because if you look at his second picture were the boot lid is open you can see some white, and if it were painted it would be blue all over.

The stock size on my 88 is 235_60 15…its on the door sticker and in the book that comes with the car…I just put on 215-65 15s but they are the size that the manual says for snow tires…read your owners manual…I like whitewalls but you will pay a premium for them. Years ago manufacturers had a band of white under the black on one side…there was a machine that would roll the tire on the car and sand off the black showing then a white stripe…I’ve seen them years ago in SoCal.

Could be, as I would think a sticker would likely have a tiny “TM” (trademark symbol) on it as well, but can’t make out one on it … I would suspect they used a pattern of some kind to spray it, if so, as that would be pretty tricky to freehand that nicely … :open_mouth: What say you, Lover?

It’s is indeed paint.
I never had a car with a vinyl wrap but I hear it holds up well?
I have a Paul Smith designer painted mini with something like 84 stripes and 22 different colors (thereabouts) which people often think is a wrap but it is indeed NOT.
The amount of time it takes to do something like this is tedious and can make a sober person an alcoholic.

2 Likes

For some reason, makes me think of a giant roll of Lifesavers candy on wheels. :laughing:

1 Like

When I turned my Ford 100E into a lead sled, whitewall tyres were pretty rare in the UK. But you could get a rubber ring that was a flap you clinched under the outer rim that gave you the same effect - if you didn’t look too close. Either a full whitewall or a thin ring. Tyre fitters didn’t much like them, but they were a cheap alternative to importing real whitewalls.

1 Like

I remember those too in late 1970s they were still around.

so that would be if you purchased the sticker, the program i (and others) use is autoCAD, where you can insert an image and trace over it to make your own lines that tells the vinyl cutter where to cut.

or necco waffers, kinda reminds me of fordite, a rock made of paint layers from old automotive factories.

As opposed to foordite, named after a late colleague of mine.

:yum:

1 Like

Sorry to divert the thread, but these Kents are chromed or polished ?

1 Like

Polished alloys.I think mine have been refurbished.

They look really nice !
How do the hold in time ?
I guess the black parts are painted and also varnished ?

I bought the car in January and it hasn’t been out of the garage as I’m rebuilding the engine bay.

They don’t look refurbished but as they are so old I’m guessing they must be.

Malc

Wiggler, are you a geologist? :confused:

Not to be confused with the wheels of the early '70s model Opel GT (I always suspected GM/Opel ripped the design off from Jaguar): :smile: