Opinions on selling a 1987 XJ6 VDP (V8) Project car?

Hello everybody,

I started a XJ6/SMB project several years ago that is partially complete however I need to sell it. Briefly it is a black w/tan interior VDP with a very good body. It was a one owner car when I bought it and the engine needed replacing. I bought a kit from John’s cars in Texas, and a running 1997 Z28 Camaro from which I pulled the engine (LT-1)/trans/cats/ECU and wiring. It has not been installed. However the IRS has been fully rebuilt - new bearings/bushings everywhere, rebuilt driveshaft, calipers/pads new discs, shocks/springs, stainless exhaust pieces, u-joints, powder coated suspension pieces - essentially the IRS is basically new. I installed new fuel tanks, fuel lines/pump/filter and all brake & fuel lines running up to the front have been cleaned out and powder coated. Installed a new master cylinder too. The back 2/3 or the car has been undercoated (brush on, not cheap spray can stuff). It just needs the engine & trans installed. I have all the documentation for everything along with a new radiator, hoses and other misc items to finish it.

So here are some questions for everyone - all opinions welcome:

Would it make sense to sell the everything as a project car?
Is there “market” for XJ6/SMB project cars these days?
Or should I just sell off the eng/trans/ecu and IRS separately and ditch the car?

I have yet to post it for sale anywhere. I over $10k into it so far but would let it go for a lot less.
BTW I am located in North San Diego County.

Would love to get your feedback.

Thanks
-Dave

maybe post this to the lumps section?
i’d say most will want a running driving car. i bought my S1 project running/driving with a 302 ford for $2k. car needed brakes.
Nothing wrong with the LT1 platform, per se, but it’s an older series. I’d expect an LS1 to bring a bit more when sold. LT1 may bring a bit more than a carb’d 'vette engine.
you could post it here, craigslist or evil bay and see what the market dictates.
i’m not looking for another project, but for the right money, i’d consider driving out to Cali to pick this up.
got any pics? be easier to evaluate with pics.
Good luck! i’m sorry to hear you can’t finish it.

Jay…good to hear from you…Mitch

David,
Sorry you can not finish it…mainly because of money…as in loosing a lot. AND the xj6 is one of finest sedans ever made (if not the finest).
The only real monetary way out is to finish it…and drive it out…for the rest of your life.

And this (driving them) is the only way out…the market for vintage cars has…well the BLOOM IS OFF. We are all in the same boat.
As a note…the barn finders and flippers…are now on the (speaking of money) loosing side…YES YES. Stealing from the widow, old man…and then cheering about it…grates me.

So David,
SORRY YOU CAN NOT FINISH IT…because anything short of this is a LOOSER.

Mitch

PS…I am finishing a 2+2, in the same boat…until we can not eat…fine by me…

PSS…little story, in 1974, Loveland,CO…we had a little thing called the “opec oil embargo” that resulted in gas stations being out of gas…OUT OF GAS…remember? My Mom and Dad owned a car lot full of “HEAVYS”…luxury cars…the Eldo’s got 8 mpg Cad’s got 11 mpg…I was in the office (15 years old) when a buyer had a choice between a '72 Ford Pinto and a '72 Cadillac deville…same price…the buyer chose the Ford Pinto…chose the Pinto…buckle up…and not just a seat belt. That would be like choosing the Pinto over a Jaguar V-12 E Type!!!

Hi Jay

Thanks Jay
Yeah I have a lot of pictures and documentation. What would be the best way to get them over to you?
I owned the car for 12 years now and recently have been fighting a lot of health issues in the past year. I have simply just lost interest in the XJ6. It’s not a money thing either. I’m retired and would like to get some space back in my garage and make my wife a little happier.

-Dave

YUP. These incomplete projects are basket cases. Non running places them in the bargain or money pit class.

My 83 is a lump. similar power plant and a Jphn’s kit.

Not on the Ls class, but, makesa fine combo,

if you can, get it running. Value will rise or make you want to finish it and enjoy driving it.

1 Like