Opportunity knocks, XK150 offered to me

Just on a whim it seems the Jaguar Gods are knocking on my door. A coworker that wants me to rewire his E-Type knows I like a challenge and he knows of an XK150 that needs some love and is going to be offered for sale soon. I don’t know much about it yet since it was just casually mentioned to me, but I do know it is a 1959 XK150, runs/drives but needs things. What, I don’t know. I have no clue what the market is on them, but after looking at them online I know I want it! What’s a fair offer? Zero rust, two owner car but other than that I don’t know anything else on the condition.

Cheers
Dave

For someone in the know to advise you, they will need to know if it is a coupe, a drop head coupe or a roadster - likewise engine size - 3.4 or 3.8 - also its spec - particularly if an S.

1 Like

A couple things, is it numbers matching? I know, I know, I hear the groans already. But here in the states, the reality is that matters and does influence the value/price.

Second thing is what do you want to make of it? A driver or a show car. The latter is VERY expensive.

And lastly, you’ll want to know what, if anything, is missing. Some parts are now unobtainable.

But on whole, I’d say do it, they are a blast to restore and drive.

Once you get the particulars, you could look for recent sales on BAT and look at Hagerty’s evaluation tool.
That said, the cost to restore will be similar (if not worse) to an Etype but the top value will most likely be half to 1/3 of an Etype. Sad, because they are beautiful cars, but that just seems to be the state of affairs.

We have a guy in our club who has one where he has done all the mechanicals but has left the body rough. He takes great delight in showing up at car shows and dropping his cigarette ashes on the paint!

2 Likes

Thanks guys, apparently it’s a roadster, 3.8L, all original. It does run and drive and I should get more info today. I’d probably do a mechanical/electrical resto on it just to make it safe. I think these things are far more fun being a beater driver rather than over restored show piece. Although it is nice to have shiny paint in the garage! :sunglasses:

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave…we do have a great XK section on the forum…plenty of knowledge and help there…Strve

1 Like

Dave you can move the thread to the XK section by using the pen icon on the header, if you want to.

1 Like

Done, thank you for showing me that. I guess I’m so used to posting in the E-Type section.

Details shortly….

Cheers
Dave

Well, a quick update. No news on the XK. Apparently the owner is a little eccentric (aren’t we all?) and now is in hoarding mode of everything. Oh well. If I hear anything else on it I’ll update!

Dave