Options for the Non-Running 71 XJ6

List:

I’ve been thinking about the options for the 1971 XJ6. With the bent valves, it needs repair beyond my ability and enthusiasm. In order to get it running, in addition to the obvious, I need to reinstall the carburetors, alternator, drain the gas tanks and pump out any gas in the lines. After non-use for over a year, I’m sure that the carburetors must be disassembled and cleaned. And then, I must fix the problem that caused the valve damage in the first place and reinstall the head. And hopefully, sell it as a running vehicle.

Alternately, I would strip it of the many new and rebuilt parts for use on the 73 or for sale. Over the past 40 years, I’ve rebuilt many parts to factory new condition and appearance including the carburetors, alternator, heater motors, gas pumps, and gas tanks. I recolored the seats, changed the rear window rubber. The Michelin red line tires have only two or three hundred miles on them. The rims and covers are rust free.

The 1985 paint job has held up extremely well. It has only been rained on once since then and garaged the rest of the time. My friend and neighbor, who ran the best body shop in the City at that time, did the work with Glasruit synthetic. He told me one of his young apprentice employees spent days polishing the paint to a glass-like finish.

On the negative side, the sills are rotted and must be replaced. I have replacement sills from a rust free donor car.

The question is, will I regret disposing of all the working parts when the 73 needs repair? Maybe the first question should be, do most of the parts from the 71 fit the 73?

I would appreciate any thoughts on selling the car in its current condition or stripping all the parts and saving them for use on the 73, or other options.

Thanks

Lou

Your ability should be good, Lou - you have already have the head off. Replacing bent valves is no great shakes.

And so far your enthusiasm has held up very well - and one year non-use should require not action on other parts. Disassembling carbs is an ‘on condition’ operation - if the carbs worked before; any odds they will work now…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like