Opus Ignition Conversion

I know this topic has been covered and I tried to research it here. but am still confused and wondering if there is anything else new in the market. My opus system seems to be failing. I am looking for a fix that can check all the boxes: Upgrade to the old system. Easy installation. Most importantly, easy on the Wallet. I have heard of converting to the newer the HE system. What does this entail and any advice where do by the used parts? What about the later Magneti Marelli system. Do both of these require both the amplifier and distributor? What about the pertronix? As far as I can see it is inexpensive and does not require a new distributor. What about Terry’s system that does include everything for $775.00. I called SNG because I hear good things about there setup but they are out of stock and I don’t want to wait six weeks. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Holden
holdenwallace@hotmail.com

Was going to suggest the SNG Opus upgrade, but then I read about the lead time… I have seen/spoken too a few owners of Series II’s V12’s upgraded with this kit, they seemed happy…

Hi, I had opus ignition fitted to my v12 S3 e-type (that was also starting to fail. Replaced the distributor internals with a Pertronix ignition system. Still retained the ballast resistor, but fitted a resistor to the rev counter wire (to the ballast resistor. The new ignition was easy to fit, and to date has caused no problems. There was no requirement to change the ignition coil as fitted.

DaveM (NZ) 6th August 2022
1971 S3 etype.

1 Like

Hi Dave
Is yours the Ignitor 2 version?

Hi. It is the Ignitor electronic ignition. 12 volt negative earth, for part no. lu-1122A (excludes fuel injection application The box
indicates per-v12, ign v12 E, xj12, xjs. J10E…Pertronix is located at 440 E. Arrow Highway, San Damas, CA, 91773. www pertronix.com. Also when fitted you do not need to use the Pertronix coil (flame thrower).Hope the above helps.
Dave M

Hi again. Attached is photo of pertronix box.

Thanks Dave

I have a Ignitor 2, 9LU-1122A that i’m yet to install.

I have an ignitor 2 in my Interceptor and it is excellent.

I wasn’t planning on changing the coil in the XJ

If you are on a budget, I have used this system before. Seems to be well built and works fine. Have put in a couple of customers cars and they are still running fine. https://www.amazon.com/Crane-700-0309-XR700-Electronic-Conversion/dp/B000CCFH90/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?crid=2JAGLG4ECD0PU&keywords=xr700+ignition+lucas&qid=1659835877&sprefix=xr700+ignition+lucas%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-2-fkmr1

1 Like

Hi,

Also the original system can relatively easily be restored / repaired. It’s well documented, just a few transistors, capasitors etc.

It worked fine over 46 years in my V12 OTS and once rebuilt in 2018 has been flawless again.

Cheers!