Order of assembly. Tail lights and rear bumper S1, Bumper Seal

Hello all,

I am just trial fitting the rear bumper without seal and looking at it, I wonder if the rear light might need to go in first? I don’t have the light units on hand at the moment.

I stuck a piece of bumper seal there for reference. I think that is the correct orientation with round bead up top? (Doesn’t look all that good.) Can anyone confirm that as well?

Did you trial fit your lights with a new gasket before getting them replated? Much like the front blades, the rear light pods often need some subtle grinding to make them perfect. If so then I’d definitely do that before mounting the blades so the blades don’t get all scratched up. But the actual mounting of the pod can be done after the blade is on. The gasket can be tricky because there’s no room to adjust the bottom of it with the blade in the way. The solution is to superglue the gasket bottom to the light housing.

1 Like

did you superglue the seal strip to the bumper before fitting as well?

Definitely, either SG if I’m in a hurry, or black trim cement if I can tape it and wait a couple hours before it sets.

I was literally test fitting my taillights and bumper blades on the 63 FHC before I came in for dinner and read this. I would concur with everything Erica says. As far as the gasket orientation, on my 67 FHC, I also oriented it the way you have shown. Here is a picture. And yes, super glue is your friend.

Bill, the Jaguar Spare Parts catalog does attempt to show the profiles of the various seals, including the one you are dealing with. It is on Plate 46. See the little circle next to the 19 callout. Unfortunately, mine and most are copies of copies and what they have drawn is rendered indistinct. If someone has access to a first or second generation of Plate 46, that would be most excellent.

Harvey,
is this on CD or print catalog?

Mine is a print catalog, purchased from one of the usuals.

Harvey,
My J37 parts catalogue plate 46 , published jan 65 is different:

Apparently not all are the same.
I see some pics posted where people have catalogues that show the bolts and washers that go to a certain part. Neither my J37 nor my Bentley’s show this.

Bill, go farther back to Plate 46. The picture you show is just for the sheet metal.

that is plate 46, page 208. You can’t see the edge but it does say plate 46

I guess the catalogs got revised. Here is the Plate I’m looking at. It has window glass, radiator stone shield, bumpers, etc.

Yes, I am disappointed because it means that some versions, being different, are better than others and there is no way to tell how to get the best one.

<I am disappointed because it means that some versions, being different, are better than others>
Well, I don’t know about better. Depends on which year car you have. The one I have is J.30, first published in August 61 and reprinted in June 63. Since my car was built in Jan. 63, I think this is the one for me. Yours, published in 65, makes more sense for you. But it is confusing when refering to the various Plate numbers. I bet someone like George Camp could provide an exhaustive commentary on changes to the parts catalogue over the years.