Original 4.2 e-type shift knob wanted

Thanks Tom! Much appreciated. :grin::+1:

Just in case someone is interested here’s one for sale
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194909731102

It really is a superior-feeling shift knob!

If I had anything with a manual gearbox… I’d have bid MORE!,

Just throwing this out there. Slightly larger. Not sure on weight.

1 Like

Cool! It can even be had with a switch!

I sent you a PM. I would like to purchase one of the knobs.

Someone know? Were these black round shift knobs the only option from coventry? My 1971 4.2 OTS came with the walnut knob. I have a black original, but which should survive - the walnut or the black ball? I can’t help myself thinking one hundred years into the future: would you then be happier having the ‘original’ black knob, or the walnut option? If the factory only ever offered black - I will go with that.

The Black 1 is the “Original”, Walnut 1 just a replacement. Jim

Geoff, I thought that I would give the original lister until the morning (Thursday 17th) to respond, if I do not hear from him I will contact you so that next option to purchase is yours. Thank You, Jim.

1 Like

An aftermarket part. Companies like Haan, MG Mitten and even J. C. Whitney offered all sorts of aftermarket dress up items. IIRC, both walnut and leather covered shift knobs could he ordered from them with the car’s logo attached.

As is mine. It’s packed in a box of miscellaneous items and an SNG repro is set in its place

So this has been sold to me as an original item. I notice a different font?

Whereas this walnut knob was on the car when i bought it:

This thread convinces me to use the blck ball as original.

2 Likes

See pic of original Series 2 Gearstick Knob - same as all 4.2 Series 1 and all Series 2 with the Jaguar All Synchro Gearbox - the gauntlet around the gearstick changes four times…

Just noticed Martin said ‘my 1971 4.2 OTS’ … No such thing of course. The last 4.2 OTS made was a Series 2 LHD 2R14853 built October 1970…
See another photo of a near last Sept 1970 OTS 2R14649, with same black Gearstick knob as ALL 4.2 Series 1 and Series 2…

My car came with the walnut knob, too, when I bought it in 1971. I found a used original knob in 1986, as noted earlier in this thread. I also have a plastic replica knob. The difference is, the walnut and replica knobs weigh a few ounces, and the original weighs around half a pound. Its central core is steel.

I still use the walnut knob, as it’s all I’ve ever known.

Roger, I’m fully aware of the nomenclature. IIRC Jaguar referenced these late S2 as 1971 models. Talking to mainly US forum, that’s what used, clarified by the added 4.2. My P2R14186 had a delivery date of September 14, 1970. Of course you’re right, 1971 misleading/confusing to some, in this case.

You can get a pretty damn good repro off Fleabay for about $30.00. Metal with black covering and pretty close numbering.

However, IT IS STILL A REPRO !!!

So an update, I got an excellent original shift knob for $50. So don’t give up, they are out there for a reasonable price.

Here’s a few photos of the OEM vs a couple of repros. The original is of course slightly larger at 1.67” and heavier. There is also some variations in the stamping of the shift pattern.

The first three are the OEM. Excellent condition with almost all the original white lettering in place. Then a side by side. And finally up close on the aftermarket ones. Hope this helps others !

1 Like

Excellent! What was the weight difference between the three?