"Original Factory Lube Plate" on offer on eBay

660819 below is full pic
Brylaw Motors Sydney where this car was sold new.
Full history in our XK120 book

As noted only ever seen 1 XK120 with a Australian lube plate fitted.
I do have photo of of this identical lube lube plate both note Girling. Bryson almost certainly never made a Lockheed plate or did they?
The 2 photos I have identical red blue lettering one is noted Brylaws Elizabeth st the other Bryson Yarra Bank rd.
I have some 15 or so originals of these plates but never actually put in the one place.

Premier Motors early MKV 520008
Only seen a couple of these and do not have an original in my collection

1 Like

Oh, good Lord! They pop riveted it right over the original data plate? Somebody should be shot!

Fantastic Terry - this one is a real mystery… 520008 is the very first 2-1/2 litre Mark V imported new to Australia, and by Qld Distributor ANDERSONS AGENCIES. PREMIER MOTORS Pty.Ltd. is not included in either of the 4th Editions of the OVERSEAS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS LISTS (3/50 and 5/50), but is included in the 7th Edition (11/51) at 105 Brunswick Street (As the only Dealership listed in Brisbane, and not a Distributor), so you have to wonder if they were part of the ANDERSONS group or independent… Later Editions up to at least 10th Edition (2/53) still only list the one Brisbane Dealership - Premier Motors, but by 1955 you now have two Dealerships with WESTCO MOTORS added - the name I had always presumed was the ANDERSONS Main Dealership…
I can’t quickly find my 5th Edition (7/50) and I don’t have any 6th Edition (6/51), but given 520008 was dispatched to Andersons in May 1949, surprising Premier Motors not shown as a Dealership until 1950/1 given the frequent updates of these Dealers Booklets - maybe 520008 was their FIRST sale???. Looks like we need some local/period Brisbane knowledge/expertise, albeit in the scheme of things there were not a lot of new Jaguar Mark IV and V sales in Qld, relative to Victoria, NSW and SA… Do you have any other Qld 'additional Lube plate sightings Terry, and if so are they all PREMIER MOTORS rather than ANDERSONS (or Westco) as I would have thought more likely…
All good stuff for we parochial Australians, albeit I am sure this is now getting boring for non-Australians - so sorry…

Yes I agree Terry, definately not factory original screws at all, but not even sure they look like Philips Heads, or maybe an early generation - why would you fit countersunk head screws at all ???, and if you look at head diameter relative to diameter of holes in plate makes you wonder if they are into original bulkhead holes or not… not really good alignment of the two plates nor indeed the Gearbox Plate… So something strange in the past 75 years of this DOMINION MOTORS new, and 100% Adelaide history superbly original (mostly) Mark IV

Another useful revelation Terry - always wondered about the rarity of GEARBOX plates on Mark IVs…and hadn’t twigged it was age related belated addition… Might have to see if I can get a feel for an approximate month/year or indeed Chassis Number introduction point, but more immediately need to correct my observation of GEARBOX plate missing from a superbly/fully restored early 1946 Mark IV - the second oldest survivor I am now aware of in Australia… Allan Crouch’s definitive book on Mark IVs notes ‘there are relatively few Mark IV cars which have gearbox numbers recorded in the ledgers’ - so maybe this aligns with provision of actual GEARBOX tag fitted to car…

Here is an early Bylaws Sydney lube plate fitted to early MKV and its is basically and exact replica of Premier Plate or vice versa?!

The separate gearbox plate continued for a little while on Mark V.

But no lube data plate at all on these four, although an earlier Mark V 627025 did have a separate lube data plate like Mark IV.

The regular full lube and serial numbers plate appears to have been instituted before 627365 was built.

I don’t have exact dates, but 627365 would be about July/Aug 1949 for small vertical Chassis Plate to large horizontal Chassis Plate, but interesting with these early Mark V most don’t have the separate Mark IV style Lubricants Plate…

620342 is latest 3-1/2 litre RHD Mark V I record with the earlier (Mark IV) style Chassis Plate, plus GEARBOX plate, and also no Lubricants plate - it is a 17 June 1949 date-of-manufacture

With 2-1/2 litre cars - no pics unfortunately - I record 520117 (built 20 July 1949) having earlier Mark IV style Chassis Plate
520264 (built first week Sep 1949) has later large/horizontal Chassis Plate…

And of course DHCs whether RHD or LHD, 2-1/2 litre or 3-1/2 litre - all have later large/horizontal plate, all being built after this presumed July/Aug 1949 demarcation date…

So nothing yet re LHD 2-1/2 litre Saloons; I only record/pics of the one 527048 in Spain, and no pics of CHASSIS PLATE, and Saloons Data of no use at all - no pics of the very few 2-1/2 litre LHD Saloons listed - all based in Europe…

So, some Mk Vs had JH gearboxes? Do we know what the serial number range was, and at what number the XK120’s JH plates started? Oh, from xkdata I see 660005 had gearbox JH 651, and 670004 had JH515. Of course, the Mk V and XK120 were produced concurrently for a while…

According to the parts books, SH boxes began with SH10 and JH boxes began with JH10, and both were used in Mark IV before they were used in both Mark V and XK120. SH were made by Moss Gear and JH were made by Jaguar under a licensing agreement with Moss. They are interchangeable and virtually identical other than the countershaft gears.

As to which model got which, it seems to have been pretty much random.
Different bell housings for the pushrod engines of course, and different length shift levers. LHD Mark IV had a clutch mechanism that ran over the top cover and was attached to 2 of the cover screws.

1 Like

That’s interesting Rob - thank you!

Thanks for this clarification, Roger.

My MKV 625723 has the original Jaguar plates and was delivered new to Brookings in Perth. I had often why it didn’t have a ‘dealership’ lubrication plate?

By the way, my MKIV 612708 3 June 1948 was delivered new to Brylaw (Melbourne) and was never fitted with one of their lubrication plates but did have a gearbox I.D. plate.

Tim

1 Like

From an early MKVII

Tim,
Just not enough reliable original examples of BRYLAW/DOMINION MOTORS Lube plate to suggest when first introduced, but you have previously sent me photos of your Mark IV still having the factory Lube plate … Similarly it seems to extra GEARBOX No tag was introduced in 1948, so your 3 June 1948 car is useful evidence in both respects. Can you send a photo of your Gearbox Tag