Original Mk2 gas cap

Can someone advise if an original gas cap for a Mk2 is the same as an E type gas cap?
Or post a picture of an original Mk cap?
I have an extra E type cap, so hoping it is the same as the Mk2.
Thanks,
john

Someone has to know what an original Mk2 gas cap looks like!!!
Help please.
Thanks,
John

The original Mk2 fuel cap is a rather modest looking thing:

This is from my 1961 Mk2 original LHD (made for export market) driven in Britain and then exported to USA. Perhaps the domestic ones were different.

Kriss-
Thank you, cap is same as an E type, my extra one will now reside on the Mk2 to be original.
Appreciate your assistance.
John

John,

This is a photo of the petrol cap that is fitted to our '63 3.8L LHD MK2. I conferred with the Jaguar Spare Parts Catalogues for the 3.4/3.8L MK2 and the S2 E-Type and found different part numbers:

E-Type Petrol Filler Cap Assembly - C.23601

MK2 Early ~July 1960 (with vented cap/non-vented petrol tank) - C.9024

MK2 onward (with non-vented cap/vented petrol tank) - C.17566 (This is the cap/tank configuration installed in our MK2)

I believe that the caps were different between the E-Type and MK2.

Brian

Brian,
Thanks. Confusing now, but the E type extra cap I have is from a series 1 car. Like the earlier picture, vented cap.
Picture you posted appears to be vented cap? If you have a 63 car, would it be non vented cap?
My Mk2 is a 1960, early car, so should have vented cap for sure.
John

That’s the same as my 1962 E Type - some had a vent hole, mine does not. It looks painted, mine is not. Paul

According to the Coventry Foundation there was a TSB in July 1960 about the venting/fumes issue.

Hello John,

The raised stamping on the chrome surface our cap reads “non vented”. The hole in the center of the cap does not serve as a vent. The cap is sealed from the inside via the gasket design.

Sorry for the confusion. We own a S2 E-Type and it is fitted with the same alloy cap that Kriss posted. I was curious and decided to look up the part numbers. Like Paul’s cap, my E-Type petrol cap is not painted but instead polished.

Brian