Original XK 120 Key Configuration

Hello All,

New to the forum. I’m diving into my father’s XK-120 FHC. Not sure how far I am going to take it, but she appears to be mechanically sound with mostly cosmetic issues. Dad and I bought a Mark 1 years ago and “restored” it so I have some familiarity with XK engines. I’m an “originality guy” so no air conditioners or Japanese transmissions for me. This seems like a great resource for tracking down those hard-to-find originality questions. Anyway, my first question is about keys. Does anyone know the original key configuration? I’m guessing the glove compartment and the boot were keyed separately from the doors, ignition, and fuel? Any insight on original chains or the look of the key would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi William:

Welcome to the Forum. You are correct, this is a great resource for all things XK. Also, your speculation about the two keys for an XK120 is accurate, a circular key handled ignition while an oblong one unlocked the glove box and boot. Originally these would have been marked “Wilmot Breedon” on one side with “Made in England” on the obverse. My original boot key is numbered FA511, unfortunately, my ignition key is a replacement from a Toronto source. There are sources in the U.S. where original blanks can be obtained.

Chris.

1 Like

Hey there, William. These are pics of the original keys for my December, 1953 production XK120. The round headed key is for the ignition and fuel door, the other for the boot lock.

There should be an “F__” code on your ignition switch that will correspond to the code on the key (not exactly a theft deterrent) but on my car at least there’s no corresponding number on the lock on the bootlid handle.

If you know your F__ codes, you may find original, matching keys for your car here:

“Triple-C Motor Accessories LLC
9796 W Golddust Dr
Queen Creek, AZ 85142
www.triple-c.com
1-480-361-2529”

Cheers, Nick.

2 Likes

You have a stick shift, thats normally enough of a deterrent for the youf of today😀

2 Likes

It’s not only a stick shift, it’s a Moss box, which will deter even some stick shifters …

3 Likes

And the separate starter button is another.
The doors, fuel filler and cubby box lock on mine are the same FA number as the ignition.
William has a FHC. If it is early enough the cubby box lock could be a Tudor brand rather than the more common Wilmot Breeden.

2 Likes

The ignition, fuel door and boot lid on my OTS are all the same.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies everyone. So I am noticing I have the oblong key typical for the boot keyed for the ignition (oddly). Seems to be an era key at least. I do not have the boot/glove compartment key which I will have to have made.

Does anyone know if they have standard fobs or keychains? Was it more of a dealer specific thing?

Hi William:

Not sure if there was ever a standard fob, I’ve never seen one anyway. I picked up the one in the attached photo shortly after I got my car back in the sixties. It is not totally “period” as the checkered background to the Jaguar head is more E-type era, but it was what was available at the time in the accessory shops.

Chris.

There’s an excellent book available that covers the history, manufacturers, and factory availability of virtually every known Jaguar key ring or key fob. The bottom line is that key rings didn’t begin to appear in the Jaguar parts manuals until sometime after the XK120.

However, all key rings were manufactured by outside companies and were available to dealers who sometimes offered them to their customers during the XK120 period. The book will tell you what was likely available during this period. Early original Jaguar key rings (in good condition) are now quite valuable.

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Keyrings-1955-1980-Marcotte-photographer/dp/1854432958

Here’s an example of an early key ring in my collection offered by Henlys - a Jaguar distributor and dealer in England. Notice the built-in Saint Christopher’s medallion in the center.

679514 had matching IGN, fuel flap, glove box and doors, the stampings prove it, couldn’t verify the trunk.

I thought that the Ignition, Trunk and Doors had the same Key. The Fuel Filler Door was the exception and the Key had a different shape. ???

Karl:

On the 120 DHC the rounded key fits ignition and locks doors while the squared key (as in the photo in the post above) unlocks the cubby box in the dash and the boot. I would have assumed that the OTS was similar, minus the cubby of course.

Standard system was:

Round key: Ignition + Petrol Filler + Door locks (if present). Can be given to the hotel doorman for parking.
Rectangular: Luggage compartment + Glove box (if present). Should always stay with the driver.

Bob K.

1 Like