Original XK tyres

found this nice pic of Dunlop on new XK120DHC narrow whitewall or someone with a paintbrush?

soooo if this thread is to be on original tyres,meaning what the factory put on the car on the line,not what a dealer may have put on afterwards, due to a customer request (which I have done,on modern cars,that is prior to me taking delivery, I had the dealer make some changes) then ONLY photos of cars at the factory,on the shipping dock can be “proof”, (Anything else can be a later install) There should be quite a few at the factory photos,if they can be found,and IF tire sidewall data can be observed,
N

1 Like

Terry a minor quibble… are you SURE this is 001 ? the windscreen posts are different… and why would the balance weights be painted… it seems highly improbable that the required balancing of the tyre would be identical to the tyre that was removed… just wondering…

On the subject of photos…

close as I can get to correct original…

660011 the number of this car is RHD chassis number 660011 ie 11th RHD car, delivered new to Brisbane Queensland Australia

If anyone is interested in original tyres I have a set of 3 new Dunlop Roadspeed tyres from c1951 complete with pink tubes never been used. suitable for carshow work only.

I am $$ ?? please PM me Godfrey

send me your email address and I will send photos freight will be the killer

regards terry

61 407797003

ARTRAGEUS@SHAW.CA best wishes Godfrey

Terry,

Can you please send me a set of photos that show all the detail.

There were subtle changes in the ROADSPEED as first seen in I think early 1949, relative to the last ROADSPEED, before being superseded by the RS4. Maybe the presumed missing missing/unidentified RS2 and RS3. You say 1951, which is great for identification dating. Are you able to advise basis of that 1951 date.

PS. If your sale to Canada falls through, I may be interested in one only as a reference, if you are happy to split a set-of-three.

Your earlier pic of 660011. As you note, has been discussed before. Occurred to me, maybe a local promotion between Andersons, and local Goodyear importer. Or other similar explanations?

Did you have a view on the Oct 1948 motor show appearance. DUNLOP made a few other types/ models of tyres before and at same time as ROADSPEED with similar appearance tread pattern. A quick look, my best guess was DUNLOP FORTE, which was a lower speed tyre, so OK for motor shows, but not for retailed XK120.

Spelling question, is it Fort or Forte?
(a defensive enclosure, or Italian musical direction meaning loud or the thing at which someone excels or the stronger part of a sword blade)
The 1938 SS Instruction Book says 3-1/2 Litre saloons, DHCs and 100s used a Fort tyre, where 2-1/2 Litres apparently did not.

Rob,
See some advertisements of the early 1950s with Dunlop Fort and Road Speed still both available.
Dunlop’s factory in Birmingham was called Fort Dunlop going back as far as 1916. Great idea to reverse it and name their tyre “Dunlop Fort”, which was introduced in the early 1930s. There was a Fort and a Fort “90”, the latter having a different tread.
Enjoy the pictures… they are resp. dated 1935, 1935, 1952(?) and 1954 (complete range still including the Fort version). There’s more if you want!

Bob K.

1 Like

You are correct Rob, I meant FORT.
Going by memory.

But looking again at Bob Ks third photo of 1957 DUNLOP range, note how five of the range have a similar apperance tread, with I understand the difference in the tyres being more to do with their construction, and not appearance apart from the sidewall markings.

Certainly in 1957 at least, both FORT and ROADSPEED tyres were identified as such, under the word DUNLOP. But there was just a presumably basic/plain DUNLOP with no extra model name. Maybe the 1948 October photo is one of these basic/plain DUNLOP tyres, with no model, but still one of the new range of GOLD SEAL tyres. Need to find something similar showing full tyre range 1948-49-50, and see when ROADSPEED was added as a new ‘high speed’ model to the GOLD SEAL range, alongside existing basic DUNLOP and DUNLOP FORT. Old Autocar and Motor magazines are often a good source of Dunlop advertisements, that give weekly dates.

Roger.

I shall be driving down the M6 past Fort Dunlop on Sunday… on my way to the NEC for the big Classic Car Show. I’m manning the FBHVC stand in Hall 5, so please come and say hello if you’re going

It’s apartments, or business units now, shame

I’ve been driving past it for decades, but I hadn’t realised it was once the world’s largest factory!

Roger

Dunlop tires and tubes the real mccoy straight out of 1950 - I hope!
Tubes

1 Like

Dunlop tires and tubes the real McCoy straight out of 1950 - I hope!
Tires both sides have markings

love the picture of Mr Dunlop!!

Just for show, riiiiight?

:grimacing:

attached pics of Michelin X 6.70 x 15 tire on a MKII/E type rim love to get some feedback on age etc

Terry,

I cannot give you an exact date, but can narrow it down to 1956 to 1962.
See attached listing of Michelin ‘X’ tyres on sale/available in this USA July 1956 Price List, that amongst other sizes does include your pictured 6.70 - 15 Michelin ‘X’ size.

At the other end of date range, initially Michelin made their radial tyres in imperial inch sizes - thus the 6.70 - 15 marking.
In about 1962/3 (not sure exactly when this physically came into effect) - there was a number of agreements between primarily DUNLOP and MICHELIN, and thus England and France, regarding a number of required ‘safety initiatives’ to allow radial tyres to be used and potentially unsafely intermixed within a cross-ply prevalent market/user environment. This included an agreement that from then on, all cross-ply tyres remain with inch-width and inch-diameter size markings, but radial ply tyres must now use metric-width and inch-diameter size convention, but also must include the letter ‘R’ within the size, so it was clearly identified as being a Radial tyre. Thus no more 6.70 - 15 markings on radial tyres, superseded by the new 185R-15 marking. It was also at or about the same time that tyres were required to have certified speed ratings, and be clearly market/identified accordingly - so now 185SR-15 for an ‘S’ rated 113mph maximum tyre.

Many reasons why a 1956 to 1962 made 6.70 - 15 size Michelin X radial tyre may be found on a Mark 2/E-type 15in wheel, being a readily available aftermarket tyre, if not ever factory fitted from new by Jaguar.