Other drivers respond to an XJS

Absolutely… they’re out there … and a car with that certain IT like an XJS ( red XJ12 is in same bracket ) makes other drivers horns come out

The day I drove my car home from the PO"s home meant getting on the Pa Turnpike almost immediately. I’m now doing 70 or better in a strange car, watching the temp and oil pressure like a hawk, and some fellow in a two seater Mercedes pulls alongside ( I don’t know what model it was, they all look alike to me) and clearly wants to race. I waved cheerfully at him and eventually he roared off, disappointed. My car’s not even red, it’s blue!

It’s totally bizarre … people seem to act out of character when they feel this unique and special kind of challenge deep down inside … about 2 months ago I was going down PCH and did a ewie at a set of lights to go back the other way … as I straightened out and pulled away a young , what appeared to be conservative / professional female came up alongside in a brand new top of the line Merc … and followed just behind for a while until we came to another set of lights … she was just holding the wheel but you could sense what was going through her mind … I’m not kidding when the lights turned green she floored it … I was very surprised because she didn’t look the type to do that … A 30 yr old in me was tempted to respond but then …??? No, don’t go there.

And thus the impression that Jaguars are good for nothing more than going to the country club or opera, driven as though they were made out of glass.

Hang your head in shame ! Jaguars belong at the head of the pack. Choking on the exhaust of some snotty Audi or Mercedes? Gah ! I never take guff from those types. The very thought is putrid and rancid. Even if you can’t win you must be willing to jump into the game.

At least you didn’t say “I don’t have anything to prove”. Full credit for that. That would’ve been too much for me to bear. I hate that.

Okay, okay…I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that it simply wasn’t the right time and place for having some fun. Discretion being the better part of valor and all that. Just don’t make a habit of it :slight_smile:

Obviously I’m joking a bit here. But just a bit. I’m no maniac, believe me. I just don’t like being positioned too far above the fray, that’s all :slight_smile:

All in fun !

Cheers
DD

Yep I agree with everything you say … I have no excuse

I drive an XJS because I like it. I don’t care what anyone else thinks. It I did I would have to drive a Bugatti Veyron, (I wish)
Tonjag95

1 Like

In the area I’m from that “road presence” you speak of is called street status and the xjs definitely has it. I find I get looks from many and the occasional challenge at a stop light but as a man in my 20’s I tend to step up more often than not. Truth be told, if you pull it into low gear it holds its own, at least against most of the cars in my little town

Hi. I love driving my XJS Celebration. I feel good in it and it makes me smile. Its like a fine vintage watch, another of my passions, because you feel its presence even when you think no one is looking. They are and they take note. Its understated, fine and low. Well planted on the road and it looks like its moving even when its not. My car has a silent ride. Like the ‘Magic Carpet’ they used to quote in the ads. I often drive it with no music playing just to enjoy the silence then, on the open road I open her up and she howls! This car has everything. Its a piece of art that at the end of its 21 years in production has had all the improvements taken onboard to make it practical, luxurious and most of all different.

Jessie and I had an older gentleman in a '17 Audi pull along side two days ago at a light. He dogged that fat sled hard when it changed. Very purposeful as if to say “out of my way with that old thing!”

Next light I slipped her into 1. He never expected a thing. The look on his face will forever be a question. I couldn’t see it way back there.

Jessie ran like she was well pleased the rest of the way home. Good times.

There was a Canadian book…by Nicholson on motorcycle maintenance. .mostly British. …same name

I could not agree with you more with your sentiments on driving an XJS.
Tomjag95

When our white german shepard Duchess with her pink “doggles” sits up in the back practically every car on the highway waves and gives us thumbs up. Most times the passengers have their phones out to take photos.

At practically every stoplight some says “Beautiful dog and beautiful car!”. My wife always wonders why they forget to add “beautiful wife!” : )

1 Like

Don’t forget kitty cup holders

1 Like

Danica Patrick, after getting “smoked again” at NASCAR!!!

Carl

I have the exact same experience , i have categorized the newer mustang owners as bullies while the 60’s mustang owners are cool

Don’t you think our XJS’s are the absolute epitome of style and grace? It’s easy to see why do other drivers respond the way they do…jealousy.
The XJS is unique and stands head and shoulders above all current styling trends. You can keep you BMW’s or your Mercedes’s and Audi’s. There is nothing to compare with the styling genius of Malcolm Sayer under the direction of Sir William Lyons.

Yes…and not only is it a superior looking beast but is is a virtually silent road burner with great road holding ability. Possibly the equal of a most modern cars in that respect. And if you have the V12 variant you have the bragging rights of the rather rare “V12” badge and the ability to actually achieve the magic 150 mph mark in standard trim…

There’s definitely an angst amongst the younger crew … a need to prove themselves through brute power … the XJS has power and a very classy elegance which I don’t think they have learned to appreciate yet

Took my 1985 XJS V12 for an oil change the other day and as I sat in waiting bay, It became quite a talking point among mechanics … I watched across the courtyard while they lifted hood and looked at the engine … one even took a photo … I don’t think they had seen anything like it. Manager was obviously quite impressed and commented as I paid … " wow 85 V12, that’s a big engine … you don’t see that kind of thing too often … of course I was quite nonchalant about it and felt really pleased. At 32 yrs An XJS can easily get attention and I think as time goes by the admiration ( for such a classic feat of aesthetics and engineering) will only increase