Others near me?

I just moved to Bolivar, MO – still waiting on plates from J. City. Are there any etypes nearer me than StL?
Bruce Harless

Bolivar is about 200 road miles due north of here. There must be someone in Kansas City. I know there used to be at least one list member in Jeff City.

I’m in Jefferson City, about 2 hours from Bolivar. There are several etypes in the Jefferson City/Columbia area, and an original XK150 about 1/2 mile from me. If you ever get up this way, let me know.

John & Ed, thanks for your replies. Somewhere in Jefferson City there is a set of historic plates destined to be on my car. Don’t know what it will be like trying – having – to stay within the 1000 mile limit for personal driving. Maybe join a club in STL :slight_smile:

Here’s a club close to you-I have no experience with them, but probably worth checking out.

1 Like

Missouri has a penalty if you drive over 1,000 miles a year with historic plates? How do they enforce that?

You are given a logbook to record each drive, it must stay with the car when on the road. Don’t know how well it works, suspect that many just roll the dice and drive.

That’s insane. I’d not want antique car plates if it involved that hassle.

1 Like

I just looked up the details:

To qualify for historic vehicle registration, a motor vehicle (passenger vehicle, truck, motorcycle, or RV) must:
1.Be 25 years old or older;
2.Owned solely as a collector’s item; and
3.Used for exhibition and educational purposes.

Click here if the vehicle is not already titled in your name in Missouri.

A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:
1.To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
2.To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
3.Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Historic vehicle registration is a permanent registration and cannot be transferred. If you sell or dispose of the vehicle, you must remove the plates from the vehicle at that time. See below for special guidelines for relinquishment of Year of Manufacture license plates.

I guess the only positive is that you have a lifetime plate for a one time charge of about $30.

I believe that you have to report the mileage each year - not sure I remember it clearly/accurately.
I thought it was going to be pretty simple when we moved here, but it’s gotten commplicateder by the day. I wanted to do a vanity plate like I had in NC, but the hyphen wouldn’t work and there is apparently no leeway on the center hyphen blah blah… sorta weird.

On the upside, I was given a waiver since I did not own it IN Missouri on Jan 1st, so that gives me t ill the end of the year to consider options.

If the 1000 mile limit becomes that onerous I can always go to a regular registration, or just sell it. This year may mark the end of my Jaguaring.

Ed, I had seen the information on the Springfield Brit club but not had a chance to pursue it yet.

1000 miles? I’ve done 1500 so far this year and I haven’t started the season yet. I suspect something similar is cooking here in Blighty. We’ve had some relaxation of rules regarding annual safety testing, and a cancellation of the annual tax for all cars over 40 years old. I expect some major restrictions on use of historic vehicles very shortly.

I love Arkansas rules:

Description:
Specialty license plate for antique (25 years or older) vehicle.

Eligibility:
For historical or special interest vehicles or any vehicle that is twenty five (25) years old or older, which is essentially unaltered from the original manufacturers specifications.

Requirements:

1. Affidavit for license for an Antique Vehicle completed by the applicant. 2) If the vehicle is already titled and registered to the applicant, the registration certificate or other acceptable proof of ownership which includes the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number; OR 3) If the vehicle is not titled and registered to the applicant, the following: a) The previous title, if available, or if not, bills of sale reflecting the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number; OR b) If the vehicle is assembled from a variety of sources, the owner may present bills of sale for the principal parts. The bills of sale should indicate the source and include the motor or body serial number. If only one bill of sale is presented, the customer will be informed that he or she must use the Bonded Title Procedures for issuance of title.

Annual renewal, not required. A one time fee of $7 and you are good for life. No driving restrictions. And you have to have at least one other vehicle that isn’t licensed as an antique vehicle.

Ya know… sometimes speedo cables just break.

:grimacing:

Here you’re allowed 3000km/year, the car only has to have an MOT every 5 years, You can also share the plate with another car.

Andrew, I wish sharing a plate was an option! Just got the third return of my application, this time the only apparent holdup was the J64 prefix on the Hagerty insurance card. They readily corrected that, via email, and I have mailed it back for the 4th time. Maybe this one will be the charm :slight_smile:

Bruce, I’d just move back to Shelby if I were you. Just kidding. Good luck in your new location. Have fun driving new roads.

Regards, Jeff ( in NC, where driving roads don’t get much better)

Hi Jeff – sometimes I think, “I would if I could”… and you are right, it is awfully hard to beat the NC roads.
Still waiting on the plates, fingers crossed…

I’ve lived in Tucson for 20 years and our roads don’t get much better either.

Oh wait, lemme think, that’s probably not what you meant.

2 Likes