OTS Hardtop Purchase

Hi, all…
I have an opportunity to buy a hardtop for my '65 XKE OTS. I’m in the US…it’s in England. I have very limited experience buying items overseas, not to mention fairly expensive ones (for me ! ) So my questions are:

• buyer claims it’s off of a '64 EType. Would it fit a '65 ? Are they “universal fit” for a Series 1 ?

• buyer Messaged me with pics. Condition appears as described ( old top but in good shape ) Appears to have all the chrome pieces, but no rear window. Buyer is researching to see if he has one. How difficult is it to get a rear window?

• how would you know the difference between a real “Jag” top and a repro ? (he says it’s a real Jag top). Are there any markings he could photograph to prove authenticity ?

• PayPal is a payment option. What precautions should I be aware of ? What are the guarantees of getting my $$ back if it’s not the real deal ?? He wants to send his PayPal details over to me, and to “pay via ‘Friends & Family’ to save on fees and holds, etc.” Does that sound fishy / make sense ?

Counting on you guys to help a novice buyer out !

Thanks in advance…as I may have to pull this trigger very quickly…

Best,

Harold
'65 4.2L OTS

Yes universal, easy to get window, but not cheap. No period top looks like the factory one, with all of the chrome bits. Just look at photos and you can tell. I only use friends and family to send to friends and family. I doubt there is any buyer protection at all. I’d offer 3% over so I could use a CC through PayPal.

Harold here again…
As a follow-up to my intro post on this…Seller claims the item will be insured for shipping. And if any damages, he’ll “refund the money straightaway and will claim insurance etc.” But assures me I have nothing to worry about.

Sorry for all the questions, etc. but appreciate all the help !

Best,

Harold

You have to decide what’s best but I’ve had awful experience with shipping insurance. Most parts for a top are NLA. If you offer 3% extra and use a 1 or 2% cash back card, then the buyer’s protection costs you very little. I would never use F&F to send cash to an internet stranger for an overseas purchase.

1 Like

Thanks ! Great advice. Much appreciated ! It will be a CC transaction or no go.

Also, sending pix of hardtop shortly…

Harold

Here are some pix of the top I’m leaning towards buying. Please let me know if this does NOT look like the real deal…

Thanks,

Harold

It’s 100% the factory top. But I thought it was missing the rear window?

It looks like it’s missing the front chrome strip though, and the rear window chrome.

Hi Harold…you could post details of the seller on the UK e type forum…someone may know them…re shipping these hardtops are fragile and easily damaged…its you that need to insure it ideally…Steve…

Yes, he found a pic he had of the glass when I asked about it. Pretty sure I can source the parts you’ve mentioned. Realistic ?

He claims to have shipped a Healey top to Louisiana last year for about 150 pounds (English). He’s quoting me about 200 pounds for this item to ship. With insurance. Reasonable ?

Thanks again for your quick response and help !

Harold

Thank you ! Will do asap.

Harold

Super expensive if you can find them.

Are we talking $ hundreds or $ thousands ???

Harold

SNG lists the rear chrome at $1,829.52., or you could get the “uprated” pair for $25,441.36. I’m not sure what special performance it adds. I’m not seeing the front stick.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/US/parts/6d626ccf-87af-4fbd-85ff-bfe7ce10eefd?fromList=Alternative%20Products&fromCategory=55799d79-5b74-4869-bc17-488155257c73

OK…then total cost now for top would bring it to approx. $3200. Still under the $5k I’d expect to see for a complete one in great shape. So sourcing the last part you mention would be the challenge…
Thoughts ??

Harold

OK…then total cost now for top would bring it to approx. $3200. Still under the $5k I’d expect to see for a complete one in great shape. So sourcing the last part you mention would be the challenge…
Thoughts ??

Harold

A complete one in great shape is a better deal. Restoring a hardtop is expensive, time consuming and difficult. I have $6.5k into mine and at least 80 hours of work.

Wow. But not surprised at the work you’ve put into it. I follow your posts and appreciate your attention to quality / detail.

Based on the limited visibility provided by the pics, what is your opinion of the condition of this top. Assuming, of course, this is not a scam and the photos are representative.

Harold

I’d say average used, incomplete. Fine for a driver but for a nice car it would need a repaint and headliner. That’s thousands. The chrome pieces, while nice to have, aren’t deal beakers. With the seal inside out, it looks fine without the rear chrome.

Ericas ’ figure is the minimum to plan on. After buying the rear chrome I had to have it pro fitted that cost $600. If you decide to have the top refinished that another1K, I put a lot of $ into mine and its never been on the car as i dont want to rub the paint,just saying… they do look great however

I think I have more than 6.5 actually. Just getting the chrome refinished was 1.5k. Probably closer to 7.5-8k with all the bits and seals.