OTS Hardtop Purchase

Thanks. For me, it’s Driver status now. I’d like to have a HT because they are not going to get easier to find…and not less expensive.
And I LOVE the look.
That said, taking the top to the next level is a “future” project / expense to be sorted out. And should the car ever pass to another “caretaker”, I’d want them to have this, too.

Harold

BTW that top appears blue…also there is no front chrome strip, which is another adventure in fitting

The new reproductions look pretty close to the real thing. Someone here recently got one and it looked quite nice.

Thanks, Pete…but my E is a Driver, although in great shape ( knock on wood ). I can’t believe you haven’t put it on yours !!!

Best,

Harold

Understood. But there’s only one “real” thing. :sunglasses:

Compare it to this one that was on ebay just a few months ago, a little over $3K

That was a great deal. I’m getting more concerned about the seller at this point. It’s in the UK and would be done “sight unseen” with no history I could find on this guy…yet.

That promise sets off alarm bells for me. Like ‘sellers’ offering non-existent cars with the assurance that if you don’t like it they’ll take it back.

These things are tricky to ship domestically - I shudder to think what risks would be there on a trans-Atlantic shipment - and 200 pounds doesn’t sound like DHL air freight.

Didn’t want to be a Debbie Downer but have to agree with Geo.

This transaction is all starting to smell to me. I’m not comfortable with the payment requirements and am concerned with the unknowns of shipping from overseas.

I’ve cancelled the deal.

Thanks to all for your help / advice / information. As always !

Best,

Harold

1 Like

Sadly I think that is a wise move unless more info emerges about the seller.

Now at least you’ve got us all aware of your interest in a hardtop - hopefully a good one will turn up.

I found one advertised for $5500 by what appears to be a reputable US dealer. Looks pretty good though no backlight chrome.

I will send the link via a PM as there is no sense telling the whole world just yet.

I have had a love/hate relationship with my hardtop for 39 years.

When I first bought the car the spring of 1982 and drove it 500 miles home I loved it. Windows rolled up at highway speeds it was coupe-like in comfort, and visibility is better than the soft top. When summer rolled along and I took the thing off the car I hated it because I had to find a place to store it. I advertised it for sale, at $800 iirc, and got no takers. I didn’t put it back in the car for maybe a decade, then decided to restore it. It looked good for several years but moving and storage turned it ratty again. So, I restored it again, about seven years ago. Now I love it more than hate it, but it is still a PITA to store and it needs to be refinished again as I’ve scratched and dinged the chrome, back window and paintwork hoisting the thing up against the ceiling of my garage. The replacement headliner has also delaminated and needs to be reglued, which involves taking the thing completely apart … there’s that hate thing again. Apropos of the headliner, the original material is nla, and the closest replacement I could find is a softer, less stiff vinyl material which, I suspect has shrunk slightly over time, causing it to delaminate. It was also bloody expensive, so if you can find one with a decent original headliner it’s your best bet.

Have I mentioned that I have a love/hate relationship with my hardtop? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Storage is certainly something to think about ahead of time as it will be a big factor for if and how you enjoy the top. I sort of backed into a deal that included a hardtop but I wanted to be able to remove, store and reinstall all while working solo and w/o giving up any floor space.

This is what I came up with:

Can someone with experience comment on how extensive the hardtop damages the paint on the car, if at all?

Looks good. You have more ceiling height than I, and I have more light fixtures. I bought a bicycle hoist to do a similar job but can’t find a place that works and doesn’t cast shadows below on where I’m working or gets in the way of the suspended heater and air cleaner.

Maybe I just need to be less of a slob and organise my shop better.

1 Like

The hardtop moves slightly while the car’s being driven. There are two solutions … one of which Erica is doubtless typing at the moment and the other that I prefer, and that is using low tack masking tape. I’ll dig up the video.

1 Like

All you have to do to prevent it is to lay some tape or 3m film between the top and body. But it will move around. The roadster body has some slight flex and when you wash it, small bits of dust can get between the seal and paint. I ran half inch wide Teflon coated tape along the back.

1 Like

Harold
I have a factory hard top in good condition that I have been considering selling. It has new, black paint, the chrome was recently replated and the headliner is new. If you would like to discuss it further, I can be reached at 5803706396
Richard

I’m going to try using 3M Defender (a spray on film). Mine is very much a driver so if things get scuffed - so be it.