OTS tonneau cover

can anyone tell me???

what is the original material (brass?) and length of the tonneau cover zipper??

Thanks

I am fairly sure the original zipper was brass: it’s length?

It went from front to back…:grimacing:

Yes brass and they dont have cover flap I dont have an original tonneau to measure length sorry.

yes, front to back…but where does the zipper stop?

at the cockpit roll??

does the zipper rest on the seats or the body??

who knows the length answer??

thanks

32.5”

3 Likes

To break in re tonneus–is the tonneu for the 140 OTS called “short” tonneu?

I think the 140 tonneau is the long version.

I’m not sure.Some cars refer to short as at the rear of the cockpit and long being further behind such as the MGA .XK 140 being behind the cockpit several inches.If the terminology is the same then I agree with you.Just don’t want to order the wrong one.

Checking offerings I see there are short and long tonneau cover options for the XK140 OTS as well. For the XK120 OTS it’s a simple matter of measuring the distance from the tonneau crash roll to the two teardrops, about 9” for the short cover and about 14” for the long (~23 cm or ~36 cm). I don’t know what differentiates the XK140 short and long options but perhaps someone who does will chime in.

Because the cockpit dimensions are the same 1950-57, the 3 version of tonneau for the steel XK120/XK140 are:

1. 1950-52 fitted to OTS with shorter chrome hoodsticks.(factory style attach to chrome hooks).

2. 1952-57 fitted to all OTS 120/140 (factory style attach to chrome hooks).

3. 1950-57 shorter non original style, additional fasteners had to be added behind tonneau trim roll (different aftermarket designs).

Mike

Due to a lack of intelligence at this end I need additional assistance.The holes for the tonneau are between the tear drops for the top and the cockpit roll.If I order a commercial tonneau I would order short? Cecil

Cecil,
If your XK140 has a series of holes drilled in the tonneau panel close to the trim roll it means a previous owner drilled and installed the short aftermarket style. If you want to use those holes, order the short but make sure the vendor supplies the fasteners uninstalled as their location is arbitrary. It would be a good idea to post a photo of the holes.

Mike

XK140 roadsters came standard with either a long tonneau cover going to teardrops or a short tonneau going to lift the dots just behind cockpit roll there will be a chassis number change over point

Looks like there were six.

Looks like the measure from outside cockpit roll to teardrop is 12 inches and to the hole for tonneau on side of back deck is 7 inches.Other holes are covered by paint and hard to see.There were factory holes I think.Car was made Jan1955.First owner wrote his name on the side and basically thru it away to junkyard in 56.He would not have done anything.I have it since 56 and had holes then.Is this the long tonneau,?

some silly questions:
is this from your XK120?
I guessing you are saying its original to your car?
what colour is the vinyl?
what colour was the car originally?
thanks terry

Yes, it’s the original tonneau for my 120. It’s French Grey, same as the original colour of the soft top. The car was originally Pastel Green.

thanks for that, do you have original sidecurtains and hood? I will assume both were trimmed in mohair?

I have the original side curtains, also French Grey, but tossed the ratty hood decades ago, kept the frame. The side curtains need recovering - just need to discover who offers the service.

I sent my side curtains to Bill Bassett to be recovered. I also had Bill make the convertible top. Excellent workmanship!

1 Like