Outboard rear disc brake flexible hose brackets

I would like to ask the group here what the word caliper means.

For this mod to work you need more than the rotor and caliper I believe, hence my question.

Caliper here must mean caliper plus carrier/holder which bolts to the spindle/upright.

Tried this years ago on a 94 and the 96 caliper would not mate to the holder/carrier, in fact I doubt the gap was big enough for vented rotor either.

Therefore my definition of caliper must be incorrect.

Any comments?

Precisely the reason why it is such a big mess. Centric 11108260 is the only one that I ordered and did not have to return.

Generally, caliper means the part with the piston and the carrier bracket. Unfortunately, some rebuilders separate the two, which doesn’t make any sense.

The vented discs and calipers/brackets fit fine with minor mods to the backing plates discussed above. You also need different brake pads.

For those who have completed the conversion to outboard brakes…

At the end of the day would you consider it worth the effort?

I’m not being snarky, mind you :slight_smile:

Over the decades I’ve taken on many upgrade/modification projects. Sometimes I’ve been so happy with the end result the the effort and expense seems 101% justified. Other times…not so much.

What say ye?

Would you do it again?

Cheers
DD

Absolutley. After cocking around with the rear end frailties of an XJ6, XJ12 and my current XJR-S, I would say that I do not regret it for one moment. Once you’ve spent a few half days on your back trying to get a set of pads changed, or worse - a weekend trying to rebuild the sodding rear handbrake mechanism, or knowing that you have to drop the whole axle to change the discs, you’ll be grateful.

Per the parts diagram, all components in the red zone, labelled #10 are referred to as “brake caliper”

jal5678 is correct that, in theory, it should fit with minor modifications.
S/he forgot to mention that if you already have outboard brakes from the factory, but with solid rotors, and want to change to vented rotors, in addition to the caliper, you’ll also need to change the flexible brake hoses.

From CCC7228 to MHF5670BA, here is the difference:

Trial fitment of XJS center rear rotors and calipers on XJ40 hubs that originally came with solid rotors. Everything fits and lines up correctly after minor mods of backing plates discussed previously, parking brake shoes. Note that I didn’t put in inner pads and pad hardware since this was just a trial.

1 Like