Output shaft bearings replacement

I am about to renew differential output shafts. Looking at the JDHT, there seem to be two bearings, one ball (on the shaft, item 17 in the drawing) and the other roller (20), which I suspect, stays inside the diff as you pull the output shaft out. I replaced the output shaft once, but in a big hurry, by a good-used one, and don’t remember the roller bearing. Where is it and how do you get it out (and put the new one in)?

Also, is the item 19 (manual call it “shim-1 15 mm”) what some refer to as "crush collar? How do you get it off the shaft?

The 15 HU uses deep-groove ball bearings with a ‘locking-collar’ pressed onto the shaft.
The carrier roller bearing (#20) is held to the case and has nothing to do with servicing the output shaft.

Seal, 'O’ring, bearing, locking collar and original bearing/shaft shim-set are all that is required to get the stub axle back to serviceable condition.

All XJ40 and X300 stub axles are compatible and can be interchanged.

bob

To remove the locking collar you have to destroy it from memory.

Hey Robin,

…and by “destroy” you mean…? I heard somewhere “cut”, but I’m afraid of using rotary tool to not damage the shaft. Also rotary tool won’t get all the way, as the ball bearing is in the way. Ideas?

The collar is split using a cold chisel - very carefully - and a ten-ton press to refit it after installing a new bearing.

If you want any bed-time reading, this post from 13 years ago may be of interest:-

Just remembered- the Jag Indy who did mine drilled in to the collar (without going through to the shaft) before using the chisel to split the collar.

Thanks Bryan, great read!

So here is what is prompting my work: overall, the cabin is noisy, roar, whining, and lately scratching on coasting.

• Last summer, left-side leak from the differential; play at the flange, so big, that I got a replacement from a pick-and-pull, just pulled out the whole output shaft and put the used-but-looking-good one in over the weekend, just so I can keep driving. Left rear wheel bearings failed a few months later. On taking the hub off, to my absolute dismay, all four bearings have disintegrated - both inner and outer wheel bearings, and both little hub bearings. Four new bearings in, and waiting for spring to maybe replace the output shaft bearings by new ones, since I had no idea how old were the replacements.
  • Just two weeks ago, leak from the right side of differential. Just a few drops, but enough to prompt the output shafts work. These haven’t been done in at least 120 000 miles, and the roads in California’s Central Valley that lead to the San Francisco Bay area, which we travel several times a week, are disastrous with pot holes and concrete patches that hurl your sandwich to the rear-seat passenger.

I ordered output shaft renew parts - seal, o-ring, ball bearing, locking collar, all times two. Plan on renewing both sides. I’m hardly waiting to hear how much noise after that.

I’m done with the work, and I thought I’d share the experience: I went to a local machine shop, and to my surprise they said they did not have the right attachment for their press to remove the existing bearing and collar (I tried talking them into cutting/drilling or otherwise destroying the old ones :slight_smile: ). But they sent me to another local shop that had the tool. $40 per shaft, a bit more than I expected, but they did it quickly without fuss. I’ve done both output shafts, and the car is so quiet that at 90 mph wife and I can talk in normal voice; we mostly ride quietly, marveling at how quiet the car is (which justifies two Sundays, one cut and a few bruises I picked up in the process.)

1 Like