Overall height of S2 OTS, considering 4 post lift for winter storage

My OTS is not yet all together. Does anyone have an overall height with the top up, or down? I measured mine without windshield and guessed about 45". I am considering a 4 post lift for storage but only have a 9’ 1" ceiling. My other cars are about 57" tall. I might just be able to squeeze one in. Does anyone have a 4 post lift that only takes up 6" or less?

With the hard top I can visually read between 47" and 48"…

I put in an Apex lift a few years ago. I’ve measured my Series 2 with the top up at 45". My F-Type measures about 52" (I think). The deck on the lift measures 5-51/2 “. Total height of my garage is 110”, and everything just fits.
I had to add 2" of upward travel to unlock my lift deck.
I can send you photos of the installation, but not sure how to attach a file here or send me an email address if you are interested.
Glen…

It is mainly a matter of how high is acceptable to you for working on the car (for storing much less would do).

9’ 1" is pretty tight or else you’ll be crouching a bit to do work. Also remember you cannot simply add lift height and car height - the lift typically has to go several inches past the stop of the catches to clear, then it gets lowered onto the stops.

1 Like

Also measure your clearance when your garage door is open.

Just to follow up on this thread…
It fits, just.
A added a line laser for parking, as my wife has no depth perception.

I found that my garage door worked fine without that hook at the end of the lifting bar:

Door%20Opener

I mention it because that appears to be the lowest part of the door & mechanism.

I also raised the motor and tracks higher - the tracks don’t seem to mind being at an angle slightly more than 90°:

Door%20Opener%202

I finally found a photo of my setup. Yes, I had to make an adjustment for the garage door opening as well. The garage door lifting mech. was also moved to make room for the cars. I also switched positions of the E and F-Types. No matter what I do, the E-Type still leaks bodily fluids. If you keep your E-Type on top, be sure to seal off the lift’s deck to prevent oil, gas, water, anti-freeze., brake fluid, etc. from dripping onto your wife’s car.

Oooh, high tech! :smiley:

And you allow your wife to park in the garage? :slight_smile: I always park our cars myself. Yes, living downtown the garage space is tight, very tight, so it’s safer she just drives to the gate and I take it from there. Cheers!

Ooh, I’d have liked to been a fly on the wall when you proposed that solution. Or maybe your wife is more realistic about her parking skills than mine is.

1 Like

Geo, if I may ask, what brand of lift did you end up purchasing? Assemble and install yourself?

As an aside, when we were discussing and planning the new garage we are building, my wife said, “you need to make sure it’s tall enough for a lift.” We will have 12’ walls and ceilings. I love that woman. :grin:

1 Like

I have the Eagle 4-Post:

It was called a ‘Global Model’ which I think was a euphemism for ‘made in China’.

It arrived in a FedEx truck as a very heavy bundle. I was ready with a team of friends to unload one piece at a time:

Everybody (even the FedEx driver) autographed the bottom of the ramps (see those every time I drive in under it):

The group assembled the 8 big pieces and I strung the cables and hooked up the hydraulics after they left:

The%20Crew

Large print assembly instructions for all to follow (with some additions):

Guinness for all - but only after the work was done:

I went with a 4-post as there is usually a car on it for either short-term storage or work. Been almost 12 years of daily use and everything is fine with it.

Two accessories you may want are a 2nd jack tray (get that when you order a lift and delivery should be included/free) and an oil change catch tank:

Thanks, Geo! That’s exactly the lift I was looking at. Did you go with 220V or 110V power? Anyone know if there any significant difference in performance with 110?

I have basically the same lift that started this thread. For $400 they delivered it and set it up. It’s the best $400 I ever spent. I did fiddle with the positions of the stops to give the lower car just 3/4" clearance.

I got the 110V unit. It works. Maybe the lift goes up faster with 220V? Though I’m not sure I would want moving faster. Lowering speed would be the same either way as it is just fluid movement and that thing Isaac Newton invented.

In the photos you’ll note that we assembled it with the ramps a couple of feet off the ground. This is important (and I’m not sure the instructions say to do this) as you need that space underneath when you string the cables, etc.

1 Like

Great! Thanks, Geo. I’ll have 220 in the garage, but it would probably still be easier to do 110.

Noting what was said about cars dripping oil onto those below. A cheap way to deal with this is to use those lightweight plastic trays that garden centres keep, for putting seedling pots onto. They come in different sizes and can easily be made to fit between the rails, so you can have two or three under the length of the car to deal with the drips from different places !!

Lightweight and easy to move when you need to do some work.
Tony