Overheating and computer issues

Hayden 2665 is the fan clutch I bought. Fits perfectly, under $40.

I don’t think it’s ever the wrong decision. However, I would suggest as a first step to take the radiator out of the car. You may find that the problem is obvious, such as trash completely obstructing the airflow through the fins. Once you’ve cleaned that up, you can revisit the decision whether to go ahead and have it recored or decide it’s probably OK and just put it back in.

1 Like

Colin,

The bottom hose, as stated, is a primary suspect.
If you discover that your radiator is clogged there is no need for fancy Alu stuff.
Just Re-core the one you have. When all is in order it works very well even in 40°C

A new clutch will help for sure. I also have the Hayden 2665 Standard and works fine.

If you have the yellow fan change it. It brakes appart with dire consequences… I’m sure you can see all the hairline cracks.
The fan from the Range Rover P38 is a direct replacement and aftermarket versions are good modern plastic and inexpensive.

If you ever change the thermostats make sure that the replacements extend far enough to completely close the bypass. Fully open must be min. 41mm
It’s an ongoing debate, but contrary to Greg I prefer the 195F thermostats, these engines like the higher temps.

Always raise the front of the car and install a flashing T on the highest place of the heater hose (close to the firewall) so you can remove all the air when refilling coolant. It greatly simplifies life.

Make sure the flaps on the shroud under the Aux Fan are closing.

Your temp sender could be misbehaving but it’s hard to find if it’s a random event.
Nevertheless these are the values:

DAC3105
0° 1.1 kOhm
10° 871 Ohm
20° 680 Ohm
30° 530 Ohm
40° 412 Ohm
50° 319 Ohm
60° 245 Ohm
70° 187 Ohm
80° 141 Ohm
88° 112 Ohm
90° 105 Ohm
92° 99 Ohm
100° 76 Ohm

DAC2583
20° 980 Ohm
30° 600 Ohm
40° 400 Ohm
50° 290 Ohm
60° 210 Ohm
70° 150 Ohm
80° 105 Ohm
88° 80 Ohm
90° 75 Ohm
100° 56 Ohm

Good luck with your project.

Thank you everyone. I will do some work to the car next week and whenever all the other parts come. I’m going to replace the lower radiator hose, thermostat (I was planning on replacing it but didn’t realize the car had two so I only have one right now), and fan clutch Ill be sure to get back to you guys and let you know how it goes.

…that makes only 3 out of minimum 21 things to check. Prepare for the great return :wink:

Don’t scare the poor kid Janusz.
One thing at a time. He’s a good sport!