Overheating voltage regulator coils

Another dummy question.The Lucas RB340 volt reg has 3 look like 1- 2 in coils on the back.”assuming” connections are correct how hot do thee coils get?

I found the document linked below to be especially helpful in my understanding of how these things function. Worth reading over a few times. Your specific type of control box is discussed beginning on page 25.

Wow, that’s just excellent! I saved it even though I will never use it.

Brought to my attention by @clivejer while my RF95 control box was giving me grief. Yes, a very good manual.

The Lucas Overseas Technical Correspondence Course is in ten sections, well worth downloading them all. Quite a few British car forum websites have them available.

1 Like

Thanks again.Seems like folks turn pale when you mention voltage regulator

Re tested things.Battery is 12.24 volts.At 2000 rpm voltage gets up to 12.88,has been to 13.12 v. Regulator does not heat up.Went thru several phases of really hot to the smoking stage.I suspect the regulator is the problem but it’s new an I am not gonna mess with it.Any further suggestions?

Really hot to smoking means that some connection point is not tight or corroded or dirty. It could be on the back side of the VR.

I would suspect somewhere going to ground.

Hi Cecil,

I assume the smoke is coming from the regulator.

Does the ammeter show big charge/dishcharge?

Next thing, is the regulator wired correctly? Is your wiring harness original?

Regards,
Clive

Beware that the RB 340 regulator comes in 30 Amp and 22 Amp versions. Usually the Amp rating is inscribed on the rear.

Latest.Battery at 12.2,May get to 12.6 or 12.8 with engine at 2000.Generator seems to put out about 14v and measurement from whatever wire on the regulator is 13.6-13.8. Battery connections look ok.Could this be the battery?

Moss said this was the one but will check,thx

It was for a while but now battery is 12.2 at rest,13 v max.Gen is 14,2.V reg appears to be about 13.6 amp now neutral,used to peg out which was bothersome.Anyhow its being looked at now.Regulator was 360

the original was the 22 amp.will ck this one,thx