Oxidizing positive battery cable terminal

What they said. The places grease isn‘t squeezed away wouldn‘t make contact either way.

1 Like

My experience if the battery cable’s or posts are corroding the battery is leaking around the post and it’s not long for this life ( lead acid )
Dry cell batteries shouldn’t leak anything
Clean your posts
Clean your clamps inside
180 sand paper or such
Do them up and rub a little Vaseline sparingly on them if there clean they don’t need to be very tight
That’s what I do Sorry Mike have to agree with Paul Ymmv
I know people get ten years from some batteries anything after 5 is good I think and it’s false economy to push them it’s hard on the. Alternators you end up changing both

1 Like

Looking at the Duralast Gold specs it says:

“An added feature for enhanced durability is the venting system. This feature ensures that gas vents away from the terminal to reduce occurrences like leakage and corrosion.”

As Mike has already suggested you would be wise to trace where the venting system exits and ensure it is nowhere near the terminal. Also check it is not blocked otherwise gas will find its way out at the weakest point which would be the terminals.

Terminal corrosion was a big problem in period because the stock retention system was flawed despite Jaguar trying several work arounds. The original Lucas FRV 11/7A battery was constructed using a MILAM* case sealed on top with bitumen and held in place by a shaped clamp with rubber pads to cushion it. Up to chassis #850572/877660/860722/886381 there were four of these 1 inch x 1 inch pads, one in each corner, but this was subsequently changed to add two additional filler pads and then changed again to two long pads. Jaguar changed the design because of the potential for arcing from the terminals to the hold down bracket and leaks from the battery. The leaks were caused by the bracket deforming the MILAM case at the join with the bitumen if the clamp was too tight or the spring Thackery washers were missing.

*MILAM, introduced in 1926, was manufactured mixing three ingredients together (pitch, finely chopped blue asbestos and something else) in heated containers. The hot and ductile mix was carefully weighed and kneaded before being placed in a hydraulic press double mould and a pressure of 200 tonnes applied for five minutes. The press is opened and two highly polished Milam cases with embossed Lucas logo were produced. These were left for 24 hours to cool before being tested at 50,000 volts.

David

3 Likes

Sorry, meant to add this photo to show what happens:

Good Lord!

I haven’t seen a battery with lead tie plates between the cells for a coon’s age!

I’ve got the kind of tool that you can check loads on that battery with… :slight_smile:

Must have been your Dads I’ve got a electrical book that talks about it

1 Like

Mighta been Granddad’s!

2 Likes

The battery has had a red one of those rings under the positive battery terminal for both oxidized cables. I was going to discard it wondering if it is wet with acid or fume residue.

I think you’re meant to replace them after a while. I definitely would if you suspect you’ve already had outgassing.

We get replaced if we outgas?

1 Like

Depends on whether you’re conscientious enough to leave the room first.

2 Likes

Enough outgassing and one definitely leaves the room … oh, right, you said something about “first” … :grimacing:

Wait… yer sposta leave the room??

Huh.

:dash:

2 Likes

Seeing as the word has spread, my sis told me yesterday, its the best thing for dry skin on the face ?

When I was younger, I was explaining how Vaseline eased the introduction of rubber into channels. (window rain excluding rubber)

This caused a couple of older mechanics to fall about with laughter (and they were normally pretty grouchy dudes :laughing:)

Of course I now know “Rubber grease” is possibly better ?

I am still yet to find a better method to protect chrome in my marine environment than Vaseline.

The drawback is you have to wipe it down before a show or meet, as it attracts dust

With everything off, and a new positive battery cable, Mr. Fluke’s meter says 0.00 milliamps. The other photo is the positive post a week after being brushed cleaned clean and then only put through some charging and a conditioning cycle.
Verdict - go buy the Optima if they have one that fits.

Here is that venting system. Capping 2 and blowing air into the one left leads to air coming out this small rectangular hole that faces away from the post.

Put a optima red battery in 2 years ago they are the best for a nice car you don’t want rusted and corroded. I had to trim the little ledge off on the bottom of battery and it fits perfectly in my e type
Also had to raise it up a bit with a PVC spacer cause they are a bit shorter . Can’t recommend them more . Jay Leno uses them also and he has a few nice cars also

1 Like

How are you measuring 0 milliamps? It’s normal for even the best charging system to show some parasitic draw.

It looks like the seal at the base of the battery post is failing. I doubt there’s much you could do, other than replace the battery.

Except for being red. Another nice and reliable choice is a nice AGM battery. Cheap, no fumes, magic eye, handle, and very good minimalistic design.

1 Like