Paint and body work for my Jaguars

Upon my return trip from the last OIL LEAK my XK8 was struck by a big rig truck. I just recently settled with the trucking co. with a check for $5500.
Extensive damage to rear quarter panel that many shops said it had to be cut out and replaced. This car is not worth putting a lot of money into and he was able to pound it out. Just got the car back today and it looks better than it ever did since I have owned it.
I had him redo trunk lid that had cracking and respray of right front fender that never matched from prior bodywork done by prior owners. Very happy with the work and price of $3300. (So. California) When I was getting estimates they ranged up to $8000. car is worth a lot less. Found a small shop with a good body guy, I got lucky. My plan is to have my E type with lots of patina gone over, dents repaired and total respray. Not a show car, no engine compartment painting except for under side of bonnet. He is currently finishing up on an old 1970s Toyota wagon that someone is very attached to, complete restoration. Using a single stage paint wet sanded and polished that looks great to me and period correct. May go this way with the E and the price would be a lot less. Still have to get some mechanical issues settled on the E and soon it is drivable will take over and get an estimate. The last time I had to deal with a body shop was about 1980, quality has improved since then.
Glenn

1 Like

I recently painted a Morris Minor in single stage. I was pleased with the result. It has an old school type of shine, different from BC/CC, but buffs out beautifully. I would endorse it for an E type. Have not seen it on a “modern” car.

1 Like

Oh I’ve heard of those cars… the lowercase “e”
Not very coveted! :grinning:

The early XK8s are not appreciated, beautiful car especially compared to what is being produced today. Yes the engine has too many plastic parts and the transmission “A” drum is a ticking time bomb. People ask me if this is the new Jaguar model? No I reply, it’s 21 years old. I am the third owner of this car and prior owners did not take very good care of it. Less than a year ago put too much money in to it in engine work cooling system and A/C. Have too much invested, will just drive and enjoy it with 60K miles on the clock.
Glenn

1 Like