Paint Mix Codes

I am looking for touch up paint for my 1967 4.2 2+2 and I believe the color is “opalescent silver blue”. Any recommendations where I can purchase this or find the Paint mix codes to have it mixed up ???
Thanks
Dan

Try this site

http://classicjaguar.com/cj/paintcodes.html

Having dealt with this many times, my advice is, don’t bother with 50 year old paint codes…take a sample (fuel door flap), and have it matched by a competent paint shop. That will get you closer to your current color than any code is likely to.

The original paint codes for 60’s cars were formulated on lacquer or enamel platforms. Those paint systems have no place in automotive refinishing these days, as the world moved on to urethanes, base/clear coats, and now even water based. All of those platforms give different results for a given formulation, so hoping that a 50 years old code will give acceptable results in a more modern platform is little more than a shot in the dark.

On top of this, pigments get obsoleted ALL THE TIME, and get replaced with “equivalent” pigments. So again, a 50 year old forumulation isn’t what you got 20 years ago, and it certainly isn’t what you’re getting today.

Lastly, there’s color variation between paint manufacturers, so PPG won’t give the same results as DuPont.

The example I always use is that a few years ago, I bought some Volkswagen Diamond Blue (1968 color). I bought a quart in arcylic enamel, and a quart in urethane enamel. Both were PPG products, bought from the same shop, on the same day, to the same paint code…when you sprayed them, and put them next to each other, the two colors weren’t even close.

If you know your car was painted with PPG DCC paint (for example) just a few years ago to a certain paint code, and you are looking to buy some matching DCC, then THAT code is useful. Beyond that, it’s a guessing game that more likely to end in disappointment than it is to end in success. A decent color match should be able to give satisfactory results every time.

David