Paint Sheen of Assemblies and Subassemblies

Is there a list of factory paint color and paint sheen used for the different subassemblies of the E-types? For example: Engine Block - Black, but is it flat or semi-gloss? Starter Motor - Black, what sheen? IRS Frame - Black, what sheen? etc.
I am restoring a 66 series one.

There are opinions but probably not absolute stipulations. The JCNA concourse guides will contain some of this information. For myself though I think that in a restored car you are best off making sure everything matches. A combination of gloss and satin parts looks messy. Personally I just do everything satin because that is what I like.

Hi Chris most all of the black for the IRS, shields etc are 60-70 gloss, satin like, an autopaint store car show you. I have an NOS 4.2 block and it is NOT shiny at all, Duplicolor has an engine paint the they call Low Gloss Black, it matches exactly the original finish.
Regards,
Allen

The JCNA judging guides have a lot of good info in them. You can also get accurate information out of the Haddock/Mueller Originality Guide and the Haddock Restoration Guide.

As far as I’m aware Jaguar used lacquer paint on everything they painted in the early/mid 60’s. Unpolished lacquer has a dull sheen. Only the body exterior was polished. Non body parts, like the block, starter, bolt on panels, gas tank, radiator, rear suspension, etc were black lacquer, usually sprayed on with out primer. The firewall, frame, interior covered pieces were not polished, so those had a dull sheen in whatever the body color was.
AFAIK lacquer is unavailable as car paint in the form used in the 60’s - it’s solvents were considered too harmful to the environment, many years ago, although interestingly, lacquer thinner is still being sold, under it’s name, or as gun cleaner etc.
You wouldn’t want to use it today anyway. It’s not durable, is attacked by many substances, and oxidizes rapidly, hence if you were to see it today on an original car it would look chalky.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, for the responses!