Paint stripping alternatives for restoration

SOOOOOOO worth the $700!

Agree completely. I reserve paint stripper for only the large easy to access panels that are prone to warpage. Sandblasting is fine for the rest as long as you find a guy who knows what he is doing. Advantage of sand is it will remove the rust in mildly pitted panels.

Has anybody tried this on the bodywork? The MK9 I’m working on will not be frame off. No rust but the old paint is checked.
Pat H

That is indeed a sobering assessment but full of truth. I am starting to lean toward a pro w/ a soda-blast product. Thank You

1 Like

Thank you for those suggestions. I appreciate it very much.

I like that idea a lot. Thanks.

Roger - I am warming to the idea of removing the body. Good suggestions.

Yes: stripped a customers 914, with massive flat panels.

Not a hint of warpedness.

TIP: the soda will get EVERYWHERE: under upholstery, in any crook and nanny, under carpets, inside instruments, inside anything but hermetically sealed voids.

1 Like

My recently completed 120fhc is also a California car with very little rust. I did not remove the body and it wasn’t necessary to. I have both 2 and 4 post lifts so acces to the bottom was not a issue.
As for rust removal, the company I use blasts with crushed plastic ( think tail light lenses) to remove the paint and then followed by crushed glass to remove rust. I did strip the aluminum panels with stripper to prevent the possibility of warping.

Yes, be careful of soda blasting as cleaning it off is absolutely critical. Any trapped in nooks and crannies can become very caustic.

Media blasting really helps expose the weak spots, which chemical stripping never can. This looked pretty reasonable before blasting, to the point where I was considering repair with the body in situ:

Still, for a 65-yr-old car I don’t think that’s too bad.

2 Likes

That does look quite good for a 64 year old car, I agree. Thanks.

1 Like

Amazingly good shape, all considered.

1 Like

That is the worst rust on the car - nothing in the front wings at all, a bit of ‘lacework’ in the hinge frame bottoms but pretty good. Storage in Sacramento from 1983 on has helped… still needed to take the body off, though, and glad I did.

1 Like