Painting the suspension

So here’s one corner, primer, silver cad and clear.

whaddya think?

It’s little more silvery in person. Rethinking CAD now.

would cad plating fill all those little pits? If not it might not make much of an improvement.

Hello Bill,
No. Whatever the finish of the substrate is, that’s how the finish of the Zinc plating will be.

Regards,

Bill

I had mine fusion blasted then clear coated. Where I live, where they use salt on the roads at the slightest hint of frost, it plays havoc with cad plating. Some pics:

1 Like

Looks REALLY nice!!!

1 Like

not familiar with “fusion blasting”

I’m not exactly sure what is involved, but I really liked the finished samples (see pic), so went with it. The custom shop does a lot of it and called it by that name. It may be their name for a specific matrix / process that they use. I can probably find out next time I’m by their shop.

1 Like

Looks outstanding…
Jealous

… and the results are all that matter… Here’s what the IRS looked like ready to go back in:

and, while no on really sees it, the Oil Pan doesn’t look too shabby with this process either:

2 Likes

Wow. That’s a dream.

I’m also not familiar with “fusion blasting” but that looks great

On my first E I painted the suspension with Eastwood Car…i think it held up better than my 10 year real Cad which is turning brownish

Good to hear, plus easy to touch up !
Eastwoods Silver Cad:

Marco

Painting the suspension was done by the factory on some series 1 and series 2 cars. When restoring my 69 series 2, I found no trace of cad on the wishbones. There were traces of black paint in spots that could not have been over spray by some rattle can wielding PO. After some extensive research, I found out that some were painted black at the factory. I went back with the black and in 2 1/2 years of car shows and other Jag owners seeing under the bonnet, no one has even noticed they are black instead of cad. Just so youse knows.

Pictures were taken with my I phone, so not real good.

1 Like

Painted mine with POR15. Looks great.